FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rendering overlapping objects

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jardine Sage
Rendering overlapping objects
on Jan 20, 2010 at 8:58:50 pm

Hi,
i know this is probably a stupid question but i really cant find the answer to it and need help.

i have a scene with two objects. one spins around the other and as a result dissapears behind the other after being infront of it. I want to know how to render both objects, seperately so i can edit them in after effects, but without having to mask them in AE. i cant figure out how to do it, both objects are on their on render layer, but i know that if i render it will not cut out the alpha of the other object.

id be really grateful for any assistance!

Return to posts index

Michiel Duvekot
Re: Rendering overlapping objects
on Jan 20, 2010 at 10:16:13 pm

Assign a useBackground material to the object that is in front of the other object when you render the background pass.

Return to posts index

Jardine Sage
Re: ndering overlapping objects
on Jan 20, 2010 at 11:12:28 pm

Ah cheers, thats a great help. What i am curious about however, is that to do that i would have to turn add its shader, then render, then switch the shaders for the other object and render the second part.

Is there anyway of rendering both layers at the same time? Im using mental ray in the for the results.

Return to posts index

Jardine Sage
on Jan 21, 2010 at 1:03:38 pm

also there is another issue, one of the objects is an image sequence with an alpha channel, so theres alpha space around the image, which aside from cutting off glow attributes ive set generally, i can figure out how to plug into a usebackground material so that the alphas dont interfere with the other object.

Return to posts index

Michiel Duvekot
on Jan 22, 2010 at 8:17:47 pm

I would never render glow if I'm going to render passes anyway. Do the glow in post. Rendering the forground object twice, once with a normal shader and once with the useBackground is done with a render layer override. Create a new render layer, add the background object and set change the material to a useBackground. Yes, you can render out all layers at once.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]