FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to simplify complex terrain geometry

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Roestenburg
How to simplify complex terrain geometry
on Jan 14, 2010 at 7:38:22 am

Hi there,

I have recently started a new job, as a 3D animator at a mining company. I am trying to use topographic scans and sub terrainiel scans they have given me from VULCAN, ( A mining program which handles these kind of block driven representations) The program exports out to DXF, which I have successfully imported into Maya. The problem is the geometry is hideous. Triangles and a super high poly count.

I have placed there "model" on a template layer and am patch modelling the base shape which then I have extruded upwards in layers to give it volume. I am working to a deadline and am wondering if there is an easier way to use the topology they have given me, (I have the pluggin , NEX by Digital Raster) Initially I thought the quad draw tool would be a help to retop the geometry. Problem is , its a buggy beast and quad draw does not recognize the complex geo as a template for me to trace over.

Any ideas to speed the process up would be grand. Is there a magic,"make geometry simple" script I can run which will lower the poly count =P

regards

a frustrated dude. adam

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]