FORUMS: list search recent posts

Maya Mental Ray Render Issues

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jen Milano
Maya Mental Ray Render Issues
on Dec 21, 2009 at 7:09:51 pm

I am working in Maya 2008 SP1 on an Mac Pro 2.93GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon - OS 10.5.8 - graphics card: ATI Radeon HD 4870

I am trying to render a scene using Mental Ray but have come across a couple of issues. Initially, my scene would hit a specific frame # and then a piece of the model would appear out of seemingly nowhere. What was especially puzzling was the fact that this did not happen when I rendered single frames; it only appeared when I did a batch render.

I tried to disable the Optimize Non-animated Display visibiblity, under the mental Ray> Performance>Translation tab of the render settings. This helped with the initial problem; however a new one cropped up where i am seeing a flat surface coming out of the top of the model.

Please see below pictures. The first is frame 58 which contained the original issue. The second is the frame 59 which contains the new issue.

Any insight would be helpful!!!!

Return to posts index

Stuart Christensen
Re: Maya Mental Ray Render Issues
on Dec 22, 2009 at 9:09:27 pm

Hello Jen! Yes, the mystery plane problem! First check in the outliner to see if there is a single nurbs or poly plane that is not being used, in the viewport in wireframe mode, just start clicking on the objects in the outliner too see if one of the planes corresponds to the suspect "ghost plane", there may be a plane in there with no material assigned to it, or one with some transparencey set that is being rendered in one of your reflection passes. The plane might not show the any type of reflection until it rotates in the scene to a point where Mental Ray says to itself "Ah Ha!...need to add reflection to plane.

For this problem that would be the first place to look and then post back with more information. Good Luck and Happy Holidays! STU

I know alot....but not as much as the other guy.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]