FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting from Maya to Universal 3D File Format, Tessellation Issues

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Demian Krentz
Exporting from Maya to Universal 3D File Format, Tessellation Issues
on Dec 19, 2009 at 5:23:30 pm

I'm going to ask a question whose proper format I don't even really know how to construct (see even my grammar is tortured).

I have a .stp format 3D model file. Probably generated from Pro/E or AutoCAD. Maya opens it fine, more or less. I'd like to try and make this model file accessible to a broader range of 3D apps, specifically C4D. The problem I'm having is that the curves/nurbs/whatever, once converted to polygons are faceted/chunky.

I've deduced that both the Nurbs Surface Display>Curves Precision and the Nurbs Surface Display>Crv Precision Shaded seem to influence the degree to which a curved surface will render smoothly. I've also discovered that the Primary Tessellation Attributes influence smoothness. It all makes sense so far. what I'm trying to avoid, however, is going in surface by surface and manually adjusting the tessellation attributes and curves precision. MentalRay seems to be able to automatically render these curves with a greater degree of precision.

So there must be a global modifier that allows me to change the tessellation and curve precision for every curved surface so that, once exported to .obj or .3ds, I can import it into C4D as a nicely smoothed, properly rendering model.

I am also attempting to use Okino's Polytrans-for-Maya plug-in exporter. This is yielding mixed results.

I have a feeling that there is an easy way to do what I'm trying to do. If anyone has ANY advice, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Return to posts index

Demian Krentz
Re: Exporting from Maya to Universal 3D File Format, Tessellation Issues
on Dec 19, 2009 at 8:39:03 pm

Just so I understand you, do you mean scripting a global change to the tessellation settings for each surface? I imagine that would require knowledge of Maya's scripting language? What i was hoping for was a preference setting. Something like "Default tessellation setting: Slider from 1-10000."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]