FORUMS: list search recent posts

HBO transition effect

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Fleming
HBO transition effect
on Dec 11, 2009 at 6:58:30 pm

Hey guys,

I was wondering how HBO created this transition effect (see link below). I was wondering if you had any insights. I tried nCloth and maya's shatter but I still seem to have some difficulty. Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
E

Return to posts index

Paul Roper
Re: HBO transition effect
on Dec 11, 2009 at 7:22:44 pm

I'd guess most of it probably wasn't done with a 3D app at all - more likely to be a pseudo-3D particle system in After Effects (Trapcode Particular?)/Smoke/Nuke. Nice effect - but not that hard to replicate. Make a dissolve between the outgoing and incoming footage, then explode this into disc-shaped particles with a camera set up with depth of field blur and a light or two (or just a glow effect on the highlights) to add some glints to the edges of the particles. There probably were some additional 3D particles added on the longer sequences, but they were just graded to look as though they may have been made from the background footage. Then they go and spoil the whole thing by saying Happy Holidays at the end. It's HAPPY CHRISTMAS, idiots!

Well, that's my guess from looking at a very compressed YouTube video. I may well be completely wrong. But I think it's pretty unlikely to be nCloth or Shatter.

Return to posts index

Eric Fleming
Re: HBO transition effect
on Dec 13, 2009 at 10:46:03 pm

Thanks Paul for your response. After some exploration, I discovered that the transition effect is able to be accomplished using Trapcode's Particular 2.0.

I appreciate your insight and help.

Regards,
Eric

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]