FORUMS: list search recent posts

get started --Maya vs. Blender

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael DeRario
get started --Maya vs. Blender
on Dec 11, 2009 at 1:10:44 pm

I am interested in getting into 3D Motion Graphics and Animation. Currently I am well versed in Avid MC, Final Cut Pro, and After Effects. As I do some research into which program to invest in I am looking at Maya and Blender. I have seen that Maya seems to be kind of industry standard in 3D Motion Graphics, but have also heard some good things about Blender.

I would appreciate it if someone could provide some comparison with pros and cons of both Maya and Blender, and which is best to know and get started on.

-Mike

Return to posts index

Stuart Christensen
Re: get started --Maya vs. Blender
on Dec 11, 2009 at 9:27:48 pm

Hello Michael, The simple answer is Maya. Just do a google search for information or tutorials or books on how to use blender as opposed to Maya and you will see what I mean. STU

I know alot....but not as much as the other guy.

Return to posts index

Michael DeRario
on Dec 12, 2009 at 4:13:52 am

Thanks! I checked some sites out. They pretty much all say that Maya is more for the professional user and there is a lot more out there in terms of learning resources. How about Cinema 4D?
-Mike

Return to posts index

Stuart Christensen
on Dec 13, 2009 at 6:23:39 am

Yes, Cinema4D is a capable program as well, however, there is a lot more documentation on Maya than C4D. I tried the trial version of C4D before committing to Maya and I don't regret it because once you learn the basics of Maya, you will pretty much be able to pick up on any 3D app. Maya is sort of an industry standard that once learned, even on a basic begginning level, is a super powerful tool.

You may want to investigate 3DSmax as well, and there's plenty of debate on the web between Maya and 3DS. Either way you can't go wrong with learning either program.

Good Luck! STU

I know alot....but not as much as the other guy.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]