FORUMS: list search recent posts

cut Curve out of a polygon object? Please help-

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Amir Sharafeh
cut Curve out of a polygon object? Please help-
on Dec 4, 2009 at 1:37:35 am

I have made a bowling pin out of a Polygon object and I made it "live". Then I took 2 EP Curves and drew 2 circles onto the head of the bowling pin (as if you take a gun and shoot a bullet through bowling pin). I do not know how to actually make the "hole" on my poly object. Is it possible? I am very new to this and would appreciate some feedback. Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Alvaro Castaneda
Re: cut Curve out of a polygon object? Please help-
on Dec 4, 2009 at 4:42:08 pm

hi

using those curves as guides, snap some verts to the curve to make out the holes shape then just extrude in those polygons to make the holes

l8r

----------------------
varomix - pixelEater
http://www.intelianimate.com

Return to posts index

Stuart Christensen
on Dec 5, 2009 at 2:11:44 am

Hello Amir, Alvaro's method is a good one to try as well as the Boolean Method.

If you are trying to make holes that extend all the way through the bowling pin, try this method.

Create your bowling pin, which is probably going to be a polygon cylinder shape. Then, create another cylinder that is about the size (in diameter) that you want the bullet hole to be.

then, make sure that it extends all the way through the bowling pin.
Select the bowling pin first, and then select the smaller cylinder.

Now, all you have to do is make sure you are in the polygon menu set, choose Mesh-Booleans-Difference. This will create a clean hole all the way through the bowling pin and discard the rest of the small cylinder. Pretty simple. You can also find more info under the Help section in Maya for creating Booleans. Good Luck! STU

I know alot....but not as much as the other guy.

Return to posts index

Amir Sharafeh
Re: cut Curve out of a polygon object?
on Jun 6, 2011 at 3:07:43 am

Thank you guys so much for the help and sorry that it took a while to write back. I finally got around to it and I tried the boolean way Stuart and what happened was it made both of my meshes disappear. Kind of humorous and frustrating at the same time. I tried deleting history as an option. nothing...

Return to posts index

Amir Sharafeh
on Dec 11, 2009 at 1:47:40 pm

Thank you guys for the help. It is really appreciated. I have to really decode Alvaro's version, because I am such a baby at Maya, but I will get it. Thank you guys very much. Have a happy holiday.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]