FORUMS: list search recent posts

Help! Maya GPU advice

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
will knights
Help! Maya GPU advice
on Nov 17, 2009 at 5:50:16 pm

Hi

Quick question, I need some advice on graphics cards. I currently use a GeForce GTS250 GPU however I am involved in a greater number of complex assignments and with the growing complexity of these I am finding my GPU not sufficent for MAYA and also my compositing programmes. MAYA can crash on high polygon counts or particle animations, I don't feel the GPU can handle the workload. I have been looking at the Quadro FX series and wondered if this type of GPU will be more stable in application - is this the case? I am looking in the right area?

Many thanks

Return to posts index

Stuart Christensen
Re: Help! Maya GPU advice
on Nov 18, 2009 at 10:59:52 pm

Hello Will, without knowing much about what type of computer set-up you are using, it's sort of hard to tell what's going on. However, for the most part you should have lot's of RAM for using Maya. Most newer graphics cards can handle pushing around a large Maya Scene, but when you start to add textures, lights and shadows etc, and leave them turned on in your display view, then they eat up all of your RAM. As well, Vista is a memory hog if you're on a PC. How much RAM do you need? 16gigs is good and as I always say, the more the merrier! As well, if you are using After Effects, it can only access something like 4 gigs of RAM at time, so as a project becomes bigger, it begins to slow as you add more stuff and effects! Good Luck. STU

I know alot....but not as much as the other guy.

Return to posts index

will knights
on Nov 19, 2009 at 10:06:20 am

Cheers Stu. Possible RAM issue then. I have 6Gb of RAM and an i7 core processor using Vista. I have bitten the bullet as well and ordered a Quadro FX 1800 graphics card which I hope will provide more stablility in MAYA. Going to see how the new GPU goes but you could be spot on about the RAM being short. May have to spend more cash! Breaking me. Anyway, thanks for replying, appreciate it. Will

Return to posts index

Stuart Christensen
on Nov 19, 2009 at 5:45:38 pm

Hello Will, it sounds as if the rig you are using should be fine. The i7 core is a nice chip and the new graphics card is a nice one as well. Vista seems to like a lot of RAM to operate (up to 2 gigs!). That being said, your setup should be more than adequate to work a fairly large Maya Scene. I find that my mac system with 10 gigs of RAM can handle almost anything I throw at it, but it does have a tendency to slow when I start adding textures to all the surfaces. Learning to use properly sized textures will also help greatly with realtime workflow. So, after a certain point I turn off textures while I'm working and minimize lights etc. Rendering scenes with lots of motion, textures and camera moves always takes a while even for the best systems. Good luck, have fun! STU

I know alot....but not as much as the other guy.

Return to posts index

David Starr
on Nov 19, 2009 at 8:16:53 pm

Are you using 64 or 32 bit version of Maya ? If you're hitting memory leaks on big scenes in 32 bit it's probably time to go to 64. If your frame rates during playback is suffering or your hardware renders are slow, a faster GPU will help with that sort of thing. Hopefully the new GPU helps... But in any system with more than 4GB, I'd definitely want the 64 bit version to take advantage of all the RAM.

--

D. Starr // Trapeze Animation

Return to posts index

will knights
on Nov 19, 2009 at 8:24:42 pm

Hi. Using 32 bit version of Maya 2009. Playback can be a problem in complex scenes, timeline can freeze which makes judging the final animation tricky. Really hoping the new FX GPU will do the trick.
Cheers for feedback.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]