FORUMS: list search recent posts

Extruding Polygon Over Path

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Gomez
Extruding Polygon Over Path
on Nov 1, 2009 at 2:48:48 am

Hi,
I've been looking around the internet for something related to the problem I am currently having with extruding a polygon face over a path, as I have seen in a tutorial around. The problem is, when I extrude the face, it goes straight to the end of the path line, instead of following through it. Here is an image to explain what I mean:
http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/2465/extrudeprob.jpg

I have tried deleting the history of the curve.
Anyone have any ideas of what might be my problem?
Sorry for the question, I just started doing Maya not long ago.
Thank you for your time.

Return to posts index

David Lee
Re: Extruding Polygon Over Path
on Nov 1, 2009 at 1:30:22 pm

Seems to me (and I am a newbie). Your object needs divisions in the height to enable it to bend. You are trying to bend a stiff rod that has no vertabrae for example.

Return to posts index

Daniel Gomez
on Nov 1, 2009 at 6:15:55 pm

Thanks for your reply. I have tried adding divisions to the height section and it seems to be the same. I have tried resetting the tool settings as well and it didn't work either.

Return to posts index

Matt Nielsen
on Nov 3, 2009 at 12:28:18 am

David is correct, you haven't added divisions to the extrusion. What do you mean when you say you have added divisions to the height. I'm assuming you mean you have increased the subddivision height of the original cube. If this is the case it will not work as you have stated. You have to either change the division settings of the Extrude tool before you use it OR you can perform the extrude then select the Extrude1 (or what ever number it is called) from the INPUTS section of the Channel Box then scroll down the attributes to locate Divisions. As you increase the divisions of the extrusion it will start to follow the path. Hope this helps. Let me know if you are still having problems.

Return to posts index

Daniel Gomez
on Nov 3, 2009 at 3:10:20 am

Hi Matt & David,
I tried as you said and it worked. Thanks a lot for your help, I appreciate it and sorry I misunderstood what David meant about the divisions and I was indeed adding subdivisions. Once again, thank you.

Return to posts index

stephen reber
on Nov 4, 2009 at 9:38:32 pm

Hey Dan =]

Check out a tutorial I did a while ago...

Hope it helps...

Stephen =]

Return to posts index

Daniel Gomez
on Nov 4, 2009 at 10:35:59 pm

Hi Stephen
Thanks for the reply,
I checked out your video and it helped me quite a bit with the taper tip, I also checked out some other videos that you have on your youtube channel, they're great. They're gonna help me out a lot. Thanks a lot I appreciate it.
Dan.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]