FORUMS: list search recent posts

A great way to reduce file size - or am I just an idiot....

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rafi Sen
A great way to reduce file size - or am I just an idiot....
on Oct 18, 2009 at 7:26:12 am

Ok, so this is my FIRST post but as a beginner I found this out myself and I HAVE to tell everyone haha. I just hope it'll help some people out and most importantly, wanted to ask if this actually causes any problems....cus it just sounds like its such a good method.

Ok, so I had a fairly simple file - it was just a stylised male model with fingers and toes - nothing photoreal or anything. Anyway, it was wierd cus the file size was 6mb!! That's right - I've had more complex models with textures and transparent things and animation and paint effects and fluids that are smaller and for some reason this file was SO huge.

And its not like I hadn't deleted ALL history, checked for extra texture nodes, looked in the hypergraph.

Anyway, I just selected the model, his eyes and did export selection, without changing anything and saved the file - and it was less than 1mb!!

Is that wierd or have I completely screwed up my model....cus I was so sure I checked everything, like the history and all extra nodes.

So yeah, just wanted to share and ask if this is a method that actually makes sense or will it cause problems later on.

Thanks heaps.

Return to posts index

Peter Greenstone
Re: A great way to reduce file size - or am I just an idiot....
on Oct 18, 2009 at 2:47:55 pm

That should work fine if that's what you wanted to keep. I suspect though that you could have cleaned up the file by removing un-needed stuff that you must have had in there that you just didn't realize.

http://www.petergreenstone.com

Return to posts index

Rafi Sen
Re: A great way to reduce file size - or am I just an idiot....
on Oct 18, 2009 at 9:18:57 pm

Actually I figured it out - I went and displayed dag files (or the other way around) and there was this HUGE list of things, paint brush files, nodes and all these other things - that's why the list was so huge. Although now I'm not sure which ones to delete - some are a lot more obvious, but some aren't - so I guess I'm just going to be exporting the things I need.
Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]