FORUMS: list search recent posts

del Sol model help (NURB surface)

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wade Stubanas
del Sol model help (NURB surface)
on Oct 8, 2009 at 5:50:07 pm

I am building a del Sol model and maya and need assistance making the auxiliary fog light holes. The front bumper is a single curved NURB surface. I want to create the holes without having to chop holes in the surface because I will never defeat the seam it will create. I need some suggestions.

Here is an example of the lights on the real car:

Here is the model as it stands:

Return to posts index

Peter Greenstone
Re: del Sol model help (NURB surface)
on Oct 8, 2009 at 6:39:43 pm

I'm not sure how you're going to create holes in the nurbs surface without, well, creating holes. What do you mean you won't be able to "defeat" the seams? You can trim holes in nurbs surfaces quite nicely, so long as you have the tessellation set high enough and in the right way.

Doing a fillet using a nurbs cylinder and your nurbs fender and trimming the pieces up would give you the shape those insets for the foglights have.

You might want to consider working with subdivides or polygons if you want to make that fender shape from a single piece of geometry. You'll never get the form you want in that fender with a single nurbs surface.

BTW, it would be more helpful if the image of your model included the wireframe so we could see how it's constructed.

http://www.petergreenstone.com

Return to posts index

Wade Stubanas
on Oct 9, 2009 at 5:44:40 pm

To answer your question about the holes, I was thinking I could somehow create a circular isoparm of some kind. With a larger outer one and a smaller inner one, I could tug the inner one inside the body of the car and obscure it with the auxiliary light fixture. This would accomplish the goal without making holes. (that's if any of it is possible lol)

Here are some wire frame images:

Return to posts index

Peter Greenstone
on Oct 9, 2009 at 6:23:42 pm

There are no such things as circular isoparms like you describe wanting to use; not in the way you are talking about at least. Isoparms run either in U or V. What you want to do is not possible with a single nurbs surface.

You will either need to do what I described using the fillet surface with trimming or maybe some other method that would require multiple surfaces if you want to use nurbs. Otherwise, you could convert the geometry to subdivides or polygons and work from there.

http://www.petergreenstone.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]