FORUMS: list search recent posts

Curves to model the letter "O"

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stuart Christensen
Curves to model the letter "O"
on Oct 8, 2009 at 5:58:44 am

Hello! This is somewhat of a newbie question about using curves to model a Logo. The Logo I'm modeling has the letter "O" in it and I've tried everything by the book to try and get it to extrude properly. I've watched Alvaros video on creating logos and everything works fine for all of the letters but the letter "O".

I created the paths in Illustrator and imported them into Maya. The outer shape of the letter "O" extrudes fine, and the inner part of the letter "O" extrudes fine, but my problem is that I need to knockout the center rather than having an object in the center. I've tried Booleans, Intersect Surfaces, Lofting between the two "O" curves but get an error message with all of these methods.

I tried creating new curves in Maya for the letter "O" and I can get each part to extrude correctly but I just can't seem to knockout the middle. Before I go insane, could someone give me a tip as to how to do this task. It's probably something I'm overlooking and yes, I'm embarrassed to even be asking this question. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your understanding. STU

I know alot....but not as much as the other guy.

Return to posts index

Peter Greenstone
Re: Curves to model the letter "O"
on Oct 8, 2009 at 1:40:54 pm

So you're trying to make an O but you can't seem to make anything but a solid circle? That should be easy enough using any number of methods it sounds like you were trying.

For example, using the lofting method to make a basic 3D "O" shape (no beveling for this example to keep it simple) you would have four curves. Two for the front and two for the back. Select the curves; back-inside, front-inside, front-outside, back-outside.

Maybe I'm completely misunderstanding the problem you are having? Perhaps more details about exactly what you are doing, the error messages would help.

http://www.petergreenstone.com

Return to posts index

Alvaro Castaneda
on Oct 8, 2009 at 2:23:13 pm

Hi

beveling those curves must be together, so the inner curve makes a hole not
a surface, and the selection order for this is important, you have to select the
outer curve first and the "hole" curve second, if you had to extrude something like the number eight 8, you select the outer part first, then the two holes.

Check the video

----------------------
varomix - pixelEater
http://www.intelianimate.com

Return to posts index

Stuart Christensen
on Oct 9, 2009 at 12:45:49 am

Hello Alvaro and Peter! Thanks to both of you for responding! The curves method worked perfectly this time around and I suspect that it was a matter of not choosing the curves in the right order. As well, I noticed that I had my Construction History turned off when creating the curves so I don't know if this presented a problem as well.

Alvaro, Thanks for the video example! I totally get it now. Also your original video tutorials on Logo Creation are the best!

Booleans sort of worked the first time around but left some weirdness in my meshes.

Peter, I believe I messed up the lofting method because I did not create the curves for the backside of the O, so I will remember that the next time around.

Either way you both helped me tremendously today and I thank you from the bottom of my heart! I can now get on with creating the cooler stuff involved with this project. Thanks! The Cow Rules!

STU

I know alot....but not as much as the other guy.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]