FORUMS: list search recent posts

moving objects based on snapping to vertices

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Lee
moving objects based on snapping to vertices
on Oct 2, 2009 at 1:00:13 pm

Hello everyone
I have a newbie question that needs solving please.
I am trying to move an object to another location based on snapping from one vertice to another. see attachment.

Thanks for any advice given.

David

Return to posts index

Peter Greenstone
Re: moving objects based on snapping to vertices
on Oct 2, 2009 at 1:37:08 pm

In this particular case you could do it easily with either of two snap-to option in Maya. In your main Maya window at the top, in the middle of the toolbar, you'll several icons containing a red magnet. Those are the various snap-to toggle options. The second one is "snap to curve" and the third one is "snap to point" which includes verts and any other kind of point, joint, or locator, etc.

With either of those toggled on select your cone and then translate it to there you want it to snap to. It works best if you use the middle mouse button to translate. Use the perspective view to move it on all axis or use one of the isometric views to just snap it on its current plane in that view.

Play with it a little and you'll get the hang of how it works.

http://www.petergreenstone.com

Return to posts index

Michiel Duvekot
on Oct 2, 2009 at 1:44:23 pm

There's a better way: Select the vertex that is at the tip of the cone, select the vertex on the cube that you want to snap the cone to then go to Modify->Snap Align Objects->Point to Point.

Return to posts index

David Lee
on Oct 2, 2009 at 4:47:07 pm

Well that worked but I had to go into componant mode to find the vertices is that right?

Return to posts index

David Lee
on Oct 2, 2009 at 3:02:29 pm

Thanks Peter, As far as I can work out, this is letting me grab the cone and drag it via its central pivot point to a corner vertice on the cube.
But I want to grab the pointy end of the cone and snap THAT onto the end of the corner of the cube. Thanks for the help.

Return to posts index

Peter Greenstone
on Oct 2, 2009 at 3:41:50 pm

Sorry, I wasn't thinking clearly when I gave my suggestion before, forgetting you wanted to snap the cone at that vert to the other vert on the cube. Actually, Michiel's suggestion above will do what you want easily.

To do it with the method I described earlier would require the extra step of moving the cone's pivot point to it's tip. Probably better to go with Michiel's suggestion.

http://www.petergreenstone.com

Return to posts index

David Lee
on Oct 2, 2009 at 5:46:10 pm

I figured out how to do it.
Press home key to select pivot manipulate.
press v to toggle vertex snap mode.
holding v down, drag the pivot towards the point of the cone
press home key again to come out of pivot mode
holding v again, drag cone to any vertice.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]