FORUMS: list search recent posts

maya 360º rotation question (newbie here)

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Severin
maya 360º rotation question (newbie here)
on Sep 20, 2009 at 11:13:03 pm

Hi all this is turning out to be more complicated than I thought it should. I'm simply trying to rotate and object 360º. However maya is treating '360' as 0.

I've tried making 3 keyframes 0, 180, 360 (with variations on he second 2 numbers) and all that happens is the last interpolation rotates the object backwards to 0.

I've also tried editing my numbers in the graph editor but can't seem to move my keyframe above 180.

Please help!

Thank you in advance

Return to posts index

Peter Greenstone
Re: maya 360º rotation question (newbie here)
on Sep 21, 2009 at 1:01:03 am

I think you have Maya set to use quaternion interpolation rather than euler rotation interpolation. You may have it set that way in the prefs. You can also change it at any time in the graph editor by selecting the rotation animation curves, going to "curves" in the editor's menu, and going into "change rotation interp" and setting it to euler.

Using quaternions is sort of like trying to use the theories of quantum mechanics to walk. It won't behave in the way you'd expect and the next thing you know your scaring children and old people alike on the street. But the euler interpolation method will jive with what you would expect to happen when you set an object to rotate a certain way or you move a rotation keyframe up or down in value.

I believe that should fix your problem. I hope.

http://www.petergreenstone.com

Return to posts index

Matthew Severin
Re: maya 360º rotation question (newbie here)
on Sep 21, 2009 at 1:08:25 am

Thanks for the heads up, I'll look into it tomorrow. I've moved to After Effect, i think it works for my project, this time around.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]