FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rotating an animated object

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brendan Farrell
Rotating an animated object
on Sep 20, 2009 at 2:12:57 am

Hello! I have been using maya for about three weeks now and have a rather beginner-type question. I have an animated object, say a ball that bounces from x1 to x2. If I duplicate it with the input graph, how do I make the duplicated object animate the same way, but from y1 to y2? As far as I know, the x, y, and z rotations in the graph editor only apply to the actual object itself being animated, not the direction of the animation.

Return to posts index

Peter Greenstone
Re: Rotating an animated object
on Sep 20, 2009 at 9:15:51 pm

I think I understand your question. The rotation of the ball is different than the translation of the ball. The ball can be animated to be rotating in any way you make it while it is bouncing in a direction you have set. For example, the ball can be animated to spin like a top while it is bouncing and moving across a table. The Y spin animation has no bearing on the direction the ball is bouncing in.

In your particular situation I suppose one simple way of making your duplicate ball bounce the other direction is to group the ball under a new node and rotate that top node 180 in Y. That top node that the ball has been grouped under will translate/rotate/scale everything under it all together. Or a more proper way of doing it would be to go into the graph editor and reverse the values of the curve that is making it move along in one direction or the other as it bounces. X or Z, or even a combination of the two, assuming you have it bouncing up and down in Y.

http://www.petergreenstone.com

Return to posts index

Brendan Farrell
on Sep 20, 2009 at 11:24:00 pm

By node, I assume you mean in the hierarchy editor? Once I'm there, how do I 'rotate a node" like you said? :/ None of the options seem to do anything like that

Return to posts index

Peter Greenstone
on Sep 21, 2009 at 12:14:49 pm

Yes, it's a node of the hierarchy. View it all in either the hypergraph or the outliner. You animate a node just like you'd animate anything. Select it, position it, and keyframe it. Everything grouped under it with move with it.

http://www.petergreenstone.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]