FORUMS: list search recent posts

Referencing animation

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joao Morgado
Referencing animation
on Sep 14, 2009 at 4:42:45 pm

Hi there,

I am now working on an animation project and I am having kind of a problem when importing animation.

The project workflow is organized so that when we need a character to for ,for example, walk, we have a file with the walkcycle that we reference in the scene we are animating. Here is where the problem starts, when I reference a file with the animation in it, the animation curves appear locked and I can't change them. What we do when we need change/adjust anything in the walkcycles is bake the channels so we can get editable curves, but of course we never get exactly the same curves as the originals ones unless we make the bake with 1 frame intervals, witch of course results in a unworkable curve with keys in every frame.

As I googled for a better way to do this I found that the animation should be exported/imported as clips, but since this workflow was already implemented before I joined the project I was wondering if anyone knows a way to make the referenced curves editable without having to bake them??

Thanks in advance

Mr JOMO

Return to posts index

Peter Greenstone
Re: Referencing animation
on Sep 15, 2009 at 2:26:27 am

Hmm. Yeah, that IS a very bad workflow. The only way you are going to be able to edit the animation is to either work with the original animation file or import it. As you know, you can't edit referenced animation.

I use referencing all the time but I use it to reference the master rigged character which has no keyframes. That way the character can always be updated easily in parallel with my animation work. If I need to use a piece of animation that I already created in combination with something else or to make a modified version of it I open the animation file and either edit it and save it with an appropriate name or I save that animation as a clip and import it into the scene I want to append it to. Even just copy/paste keyframes from one scene to another.

What exactly is the reason that the workflow requires that you continue referencing animation files rather than just referencing a non-keyed character? Why can't you change it? Baking is definitely not the answer; that will just make things very difficult.

My best suggestion is to change the workflow. That one just won't work and will impede getting the project done.

Visit http://www.petergreenstone.com

Return to posts index

David Mattock
Re: Referencing animation
on Aug 4, 2014 at 11:58:01 am

I know this post is very old but this might help someone out:

To edit animation curves in referenced files, you must turn on Allow Referenced Animation Curves to be Edited in the Referenced Animation Curves section of the Animation Preferences.

info@davidmattock.co.uk

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]