FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trouble removing a projected curve from a surface

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Giorgio Renna
Trouble removing a projected curve from a surface
on Aug 31, 2009 at 8:07:19 pm

Hello all,
I've searched the internet for a while now trying to figure it out. I'm not sure if my lack of success in finding a solution is due to inappropriate articulation as to my problem but I hope someone will help me. I should also add that I have limited experience in Maya, as well as with NURBS.

What I did was to create a default NURBS sphere. Separately, I used the CV Curve Tool to draw an irregular-shaped curve (something like a crack). I projected this curve on to the surface of the sphere. Now, I'd like to detach said curve so that it will maintain it's distinctive shape along with the curvature of the sphere that it was projected on.

Thanks

Gio Renna

Return to posts index

Matt Nielsen
Re: Trouble removing a projected curve from a surface
on Aug 31, 2009 at 10:34:02 pm

Try selecting the projected curve and using the Edit Curves > Duplicate Surface Curve under the Surfaces menu set. That should do the trick

Return to posts index

Isa Alsup
on Aug 31, 2009 at 11:53:50 pm

When you follow this workflow, you may want to re-spline the resulting curve, because the CV's derived may not be well spaced. However, if you re-spline, the resulting curve may not fit surface exactly. Use discretion.

Return to posts index

Jack Parry
on Sep 2, 2009 at 1:21:27 am

Some other things you can try and be wary of:
- NURBS surfaces have seams: so if you project over a seam the result of a duplicate surface curves will be two (2) curves, one for each side of the seam.
- duplicating curves off nurbs will result in a high point count so perhaps you might want instead to create a high-res poly sphere, make that live and then the curve you draw directly on the sphere will be a world space curve that doesn't need to be duplicated, AND it only has the points you draw on it.
If you make a NURBS sphere live you will still end up with a curve on surface as you did with projected curve on surface: back to where you started from.

Jack

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]