FORUMS: list search recent posts

Face Normal problem

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Nielsen
Face Normal problem
on Aug 19, 2009 at 6:12:59 am

Hey Guys,

I'm having a few small issues with what I can only presume to be face normals. Basically I am fixing a blackhawk model for my supervisor. The floor of the blackhawk was created using a poly plane therefore when he took it into the engine for his phd project he found that the backfaces weren't getting drawn. So I have been assigned the task of fixing up all of the problems with the mesh. So far I have been successful in duplicating faces and reversing their normals so that they are double sided (I am doing this because using the extrude to create the new faces affects the surrounding areas). When I tried to do this with the floor it worked but all of the faces turned black. Now the faces normals are pointing the correct direction but I can't seem to get rid of the black. Can anyone help me out as this is driving me insane. I only have 3 sections of the model to complete and its taking me about 2 hours per model. Thanks in advance. Oh and I have been doing so simple test render to see if it was just a display error but it shows up in the renders as well.

Return to posts index

Matt Nielsen
Re: Face Normal problem
on Aug 19, 2009 at 11:46:22 pm

Ok I have managed to find out a solution and I wanted it posted so that if anyone else came across this problem they would know what to do. In the Normals menu under the Polygon menu set there is an option called Set to Face. Once applied this seemed to correct all of the normal problems but it does place them flat shaded mode.

Return to posts index

Peter Nelson
Re: Face Normal problem
on Feb 7, 2013 at 6:03:29 pm

Newbie:

Hi everyone,

I am making a landscape in Maya to export out as a still background for animation. When I look at one part of my model in the render view, there is a giant hole on the left side of the mountain. I have tried cleaning up the geometry, conforming normals, backface culling, but nothing seems to fix this and give me the rest of my mountain back. I've attached a screenshot of the scene with the render view on the right.

Any help would be much appreciated

Cheers,

Peter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]