FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shadow casting

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Buttacoli
Shadow casting
on Aug 14, 2009 at 1:24:15 am

I posted this at VFXTalk, but figured I'd try here as well. I'm relatively new to Maya, and I stuck on something. I have a CG character that, when eventually composited, will enter my scene from behind a building. So in Maya I have the character walking on a ground plane, and I set up a "physical sun and sky" light and another directional light to simulate the position of the sun. The ground plane has a "Use Background" shader applied and everything looks good. The character casts shadows on the ground nicely. The render looks good. But I also need the building to cast a shadow on the character when it emerges from behind it. So I made a cube and scaled and positioned it to simulate where the building is, and put the"use background" shader on it. Now the cube makes a nice shadow on the character, and the render looks great. Except.. the cube also casts a shadow on the ground, which i don't need. Is it possible to have the cube only cast shadows on the character? Or do I need to set up seperate lights for that? Any clues?

Return to posts index

Matt Nielsen
Re: Shadow casting
on Aug 14, 2009 at 1:40:12 am

There is a pretty good tutorial on Link Lighting on Highend3d. Check out the link below

http://www.highend3d.com/maya/tutorials/rendering_lighting/general/235.html

Return to posts index

Chris Buttacoli
Re: Shadow casting
on Aug 15, 2009 at 3:07:38 am

Nice, thank you. So what I need to do is create a seperate light for the shadow and de-link it from casting onto the floor. Cool.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]