FORUMS: list search recent posts

IK FK Switch Problem

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Laura Ambrosiano
IK FK Switch Problem
on Jul 31, 2009 at 5:57:10 pm

Hello,

I'm pretty new to the rigging process, so I apologize if this is a stupid question. I've been setting up a basic biped character, and making IK/FK switches for the arms. At this point the left arm works correctly, but I'm having serious problems with the right arm. When I apply the orient constraints and set driven keys for the right arm, the shoulder rotates 180 degrees. From what I can tell, this happens when the constraint for the IK chain, but I could be wrong. All three chains have the same orientation. The x axis points away from the child, the y axis points down, and the z axis points back. Like I said, I'm new to the rigging process, and this is the first time I've tried to add an IK/FK switch, so I'm sorry if this seems stupid. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

damodar sawant
Re: IK FK Switch Problem
on Aug 1, 2009 at 7:20:43 am

Dear laura
I am not sure if the shoulder shifts after you apply orient constraint or after u set driven keys.If its a first case then u must be having different orientation for ur 3 set of joint chains (IK,FK and BAse).In that case either you have to redo the joint chains and after orienting the joint you can duplicate the joints for IK and IF chain and redo constraint as well,or else you can check on the maintain offset if you don't want to redo while doing orient constraint.

Return to posts index

Laura Ambrosiano
on Aug 1, 2009 at 9:24:04 pm

Hey,

Thanks for replying. It seems that the rotation of the shoulder flips when the skin joints are influenced only by the constraint from the IK joints, yet when I check the orientation of all three joint chains, they seem to be all the same. I've deconstructed and reoriented the chains and constraints several times, and the maintain offset has always been checked on the constraints. I guess now the only thing left to do would be do delete the entire arm and rebuild it from scratch. Is it possible that the IK handle has something to do with these joint rotations as well? I'll try rebuilding only the IK chain first and see if that works. Thank you for your help.

Return to posts index

damodar sawant
on Aug 2, 2009 at 5:45:44 am

I would like to see ur joint chain first to know whats exactly going wrong ,See if you can grab a screen shot of ur joint chain and send it to me or send me ur file on this mail address, damodar_sawant@yahoo.co.in

Return to posts index

Laura Ambrosiano
on Aug 12, 2009 at 9:43:16 pm

Hey, I just wanted to let you know I fixed the problem. It was actually really stupid - I'd just switched the names of two controls on one side so I was constraining the wrong shoulder control the whole time. Sorry. Thanks for your help, though.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]