FORUMS: list search recent posts

$4K budget for a "Maya Machine"...what would you get?

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
craig whit
$4K budget for a "Maya Machine"...what would you get?
on Jul 15, 2009 at 2:33:31 pm

Hi everyone,

I've been saving for a while and have roughly $4K to spend on a workstation for Maya, AE, Shake, PS, and FCP. I wanted to ask all of you a) what systems you're using now and if you're happy with the performance and b) if you had to buy a rig today, what you'd choose. It's taken me a LONG time to save this money so I'm trying to prepare as best as I can. The difficult part in my decision is that I'm starting a new MFA program in September and I'll be spending 8 hours a week on a train, so I'm thinking laptop...but with Snow Leopard coming out in September, I'm thinking Mac Pro. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Best,
Craig

Return to posts index

Michiel Duvekot
Re: $4K budget for a "Maya Machine"...what would you get?
on Jul 15, 2009 at 4:12:48 pm

I love my MacBook Pro. Mostly because it's light, which was important to me. The weight is just so much better than the Dell I had before. It's also quiet, which to my own surprise, I appreciate more and more every day now that I have really quiet office. Performance is decent, but as with all Macs, threading performance is not as good as under Linux (or even Windows), so think about running some other OS in addition to OS X if you're going to be doing a lot of rendering. Know that Maya has more display issues on Mac than on Windows (ramp widgets are notorious) and your choice of gfx cards is very limited.

Michiel
http://www.thnkr.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]