FORUMS: list search recent posts

texturing assistance

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ray George
texturing assistance
on Jul 7, 2009 at 6:38:53 pm

Im having a bit of difficulty texturing my modeled character. ive made the textures all 512 x 512 in photoshop, and tried using the hypershade window in the render section, assigning textures to lamberts, but when i select the faces i wish to texture, and apply the lambert, nothing happens, but it says its applied at the bottom right. is there something i'm missing? many thanks.

Return to posts index

Adam Benson
Re: texturing assistance
on Jul 8, 2009 at 6:51:49 am

Go to WINDOW > RELATIONSHIP EDITOR > UV LINKING > TEXTURE-CENTRIC. A window will pop up. Select your model. From there you may need to make sure that your texture file is connected to the appropriate UV.
Hope that helps

Adam Benson
Visual Effects Artist/Musician/Sound Engineer/Editor
http://www.SleepDeprivedProductions.com
http://www.SleepDeprivedFilms.com

Return to posts index

Ray George
on Jul 8, 2009 at 2:53:10 pm

i seem to have multiple uvs per object, how can i delete them, and when i made sure the lamberts are assigned to the textures and applied the texture and nothing happened. i think what a really need is an in depth tutorial about assigning mutliple textures to different objects.

Return to posts index

Adam Benson
on Jul 8, 2009 at 6:02:45 pm

Hey Ray,
Ok, I'm going to give you the quickest, most accurate rundown I can on the whole UV bit. First, you need to make sure that your UV editor is opened. WINDOW > UV TEXTURE EDITOR. Once that is opened you see a menu item called UV SETS. If you click on that, you'll see all of the UVs applied to your model. Oh, and your model needs to be selected, by the way. The current UV for your model will have a check mark next to it in that menu. To delete that UV go to the menu thats called POLYGONS in the UV Texture Editor. Click POLYGONS > DELETE CURRENT UV SET. Go back to your UV SETS menu and you should see the one gone, and the next one selected. Rinse and repeat.
For this, let's get rid of all your current UV Sets so we can start with a clean slate. Once they're all deleted here's what you're going to do...
Go back to the modeling window, select your model... I'm going to assume that you've got a relatively complex model here. So, you're going to have to do a bit of deduction work. There are three main basic UV types and One automatic type. For this, we're going to stick to the basic shapes. They are Planar UV, Spherical UV and Cylinder UV. Let's assume that you're working on a human figure for a moment, but this exercise can be applied to any model. Some parts you'll use Planar UVs for and other Parts you'll use cylindrical UVs for. Let's start with something like the face. On your model, right click and choose FACES from the pop up menu. Select all of the polys for the front side of the face, NOT the side of the head, the top of the head or the chin area, JUST the front part of the face. Now go to CREATE UVS > PLANAR MAPPING > (OPTION BOX). For the very first UV ONLY you're going to want to make sure that CREATE NEW UV SET is CHECKED. Give it a name and click PROJECT. You'll notice in the UV TEXTURE EDITOR that your new UV set shows up and all of the faces that make up the face are grouped together in the UV EDITOR. Now you can grab those UVs in the UV TEXTURE EDITOR and move them aside for the moment. Just pull them out of the gray grid they're in. Back to the model. Next, select all the FACES on the side of the head. Choose CREATE UVS > PLANAR MAPPING > (OPTION BOX) Make sure that CREATE NEW UV SET is UNCHECKED now. Click PROJECT. Now you'll see the new side of the head UVs in the UV TEXTURE EDITOR.
You'll do this process for the entire model. Some things, like the arms and legs, you can apply Cylindrical UVs to. Just make sure that you've got CREATE NEW UV SET turned off in any new UV Projection that you're creating. Once you get UVs applied to the entire model, you can go into the UV TEXTURE EDITOR and grab each individual UV and move and re-scale it all to fit into that darker Grey grid area of the TEXTURE EDITOR. That will allow you to position the UVs in a way that is conducive to painting it all correctly in Photoshop. With the UVs selected in the Texture editor, you can choose POLYGONS > UV SNAPSHOT and create an image that you can import into Photoshop and paint directly on, so that you know which part of the model you're painting on. Then, when you save your texture file, you should be able to use the relationship editor to make sure you're new texture file is attached to the correct UV set and everything should line up.
Yes.... I know it's a lot of work. It can take days to UV some things. But if you do it right, its so worth the time.
Good luck.

Adam Benson
Visual Effects Artist/Musician/Sound Engineer/Editor
http://www.SleepDeprivedProductions.com
http://www.SleepDeprivedFilms.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]