FORUMS: list search recent posts

batch render problem osx

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Burns
batch render problem osx
on Jun 24, 2009 at 2:18:25 am

I use Maya 2009 Unlimited on a mac notebook with 4gigs of ram. When I batch render all is well. Use a desktop as well. Both are intel based. On the desktop only two gigs of ram. When I hit batch render mental ray pops up as usual but then next to it another maya icon pops up, very weird. So i figured this is because of ram and got 4 more gigs for a total of 6 gigs. Problem persists. What does this mean?

Return to posts index

Stuart Christensen
Re: batch render problem osx
on Jun 24, 2009 at 7:32:26 pm

Hello Dan, I too use the Mac Maya version and have had some rendering issues. You didn't say whether your renderings were being "messed up" by this issue, just that you have a weird anomaly with a pop up icon. Are your renders coming out OK? Or, is there an issue with how the render is being completed? Need more info STU

I know alot....but not as much as the other guy.

Return to posts index

Dan Burns
on Jun 24, 2009 at 7:44:14 pm

It seems there is a general issue with ram on macs, like some configurations just won't work. On the machine with 6gigs it won't render at all, not even a scene with just a cube will render in mental ray. It just won't. On a machine with 4gigs it will render no matter how heavy the scene. Lots of people have issues with this. Like 16gigs won't work, but 8gigs will and the machine will only render at all if you actually remove 8gigs of ram. It's so bizarre that the 4gig machine will render anything, the 6gig machine nothing. Lots of people suggest optimizing scene etc, but it's not that simple.

Long story short: service pack 1a for 2009 fixed it. However another icon for maya pops up next to mental ray, just the way it did before and shows up as not responding. However now it renders ANY scene. Must have been like memory leak thing or something.

Thanks,

D

Return to posts index

Stuart Christensen
on Jun 24, 2009 at 10:44:39 pm

Wow! That's some strange stuff that's happening. I have a Mac intel with 10 gigs of RAM and it's rendering everything I throw at it either with mental ray or maya software render.

Now along the way I have read that Maya likes to use up all the available RAM that it can, and that it's best not to let it use all of your RAM because it can get hung up and crash because there's no buffer to make it stop before it fills itself to the brim. So, in your setting and preferences it is best to only allocate 75% or so to the Render. It's OK to use all the cores but keeping some RAM reserved is a good idea.

I always make sure to close all other apps when rendering a batch. Sorry I can't help much on this one. The roots of this program came from a PC based environment and there's still a little "wonkiness" in the code that I'm sure will get better with more releases. STU

Return to posts index

Dan Burns
on Jun 24, 2009 at 10:47:49 pm

For me the service pack 1a did the trick.

Do you freelance?

Return to posts index

Stuart Christensen
on Jun 25, 2009 at 3:33:07 am

This Service pack 1a, is it an autodesk issued update? I have not heard of it before this post.

I'm a video guy (freelancer and part-time company employed) and I do a lot of editing. As for my Maya, I'm still in the process of "learning" and picked it up as a way to do more complex creations for my personal work. After Effects is a great program for psuedo 3D but I like Maya for the real thing.

It seems as though freelancing these days literally means "free", but yes I freelance in video mostly and some motion graphics, and a lot of live performance music video stuff. Maya for me is the new frontier and I have a lot of the basics down, and I'm now getting into using it to create virtual environments that can be composited with live action.

How are you using Maya? Cheers! STU

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]