FORUMS: list search recent posts

interior/exterior texture differences

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stuart Christensen
interior/exterior texture differences
on Jun 23, 2009 at 7:22:23 am

Hello! I'm trying to learn how to texture an object so that when the camera zooms into the object and breaks the objects plane and goes into the object, there is a different texture applied to the interior instead of the texture that appears on the exterior.

Could someone point me in the right direction as to how I can achieve this? Thanks for any help! STU

I know alot....but not as much as the other guy.

Return to posts index

Matt Nielsen
Re: interior/exterior texture differences
on Jun 24, 2009 at 1:01:48 am

There are a couple of ways to achieve this but the quickest and most simple would be to create two cubes with the same dimensions. Texture them then place them on top of each other so their faces are overlapping. On the cube with the internal texture reverse the normals so that the face normals are pointing inwards then turn Backface culling on (this is important). Since the face normals for both cubes are pointing opposite directions when you render out the animation they won't flicker. Hope this helps

Return to posts index

Stuart Christensen
Re: interior/exterior texture differences
on Jun 24, 2009 at 5:47:02 am

Yes! Thank you Matt! That helps very much. I have all the Maya books and I have skimmed over "backface culling" and I'm familiar with reversing normals in theory so I thank you greatly for helping me "think inside the box" on this one. Thanks again for your help! STU

I know alot....but not as much as the other guy.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]