FORUMS: list search recent posts

gloss effect in maya

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tiberiu Neagu
gloss effect in maya
on Jun 22, 2009 at 9:57:06 pm

Hello everyone

I am a complete newbie to maya, but i've received an assignment from work to do a 3d scene, and i need to reproduce the visual effect found in the logo at this page:

http://www.virtualmissfriday.co.uk/VMF/Home

If you have any ideas, i would be extremely grateful if you could explain to me step by step how to achieve this effect, since i know nothing about textures, materials or lighting.

Thank you in advance for all your help

Return to posts index

Stuart Christensen
Re: gloss effect in maya
on Jun 23, 2009 at 5:00:08 pm

Hello Tiberiu, Unfortunately it would a very long posting to try and explain a step by step procedure to help you accomplish this task. In order to even start with Maya you must first get some basics skills under your belt and the only way to do that is to read some training materials to help get you started.

I would check out the Maya Press book called Introducing Maya 2009, and of course check out any and all tutorials online that show some of the skills in action. There is a learning curve to start that everyone must go through, but with a little bit of basic training you will be up and running in no time. Just be focused and tenacious and Maya will become your best friend for life! Best of Luck! STU

I know alot....but not as much as the other guy.

Return to posts index

Stuart Christensen
on Jun 23, 2009 at 5:51:05 pm

Hello Tiberiu, I found this tutorial which sort of explains the stylistic concept behind what you are trying to produce. Check it out! Hope that helps a little! STU

http://emciem.deviantart.com/art/maya-mentalray-studio-lighting-53791490

Return to posts index

Tiberiu Neagu
on Jun 24, 2009 at 3:50:36 pm

Hi Stu

Wow, thanks a lot for sharing that link.
I took after some tuts and came up with this (before seeing your link):

http://scoala195.org/render_3.jpg
(i uploaded the render on one of my project sites)

I created a curve which i moved around the scene and created keyframes to animate it, then used Animation Sweep to create the ribbon.
Applied a mia_material_x to it and made some shapes above with high incadescence and some glow, then took out their primary visibility so that they won't show up in rendering.

The reflection effect is pretty nice, but the ribbon looks really ugly, the curves aren't very "round" becuse of the animation of the initial curve. Do you have any idea on how i can make the ribbon bend smoother ?

Thanks a lot for your suggestions, and i hope you'll be able to help me a bit further.

PS: my paths had intersected before with 3dsmax (about 4-5 years ago :) ) so it wasn't extremely hard to follow some tutorials for maya and come up with the idea to create a ribbon. the mia_material_x and incadescent shapes for reflection were suggestions from another forum.

Return to posts index

Stuart Christensen
on Jun 24, 2009 at 7:17:23 pm

Hello Tiberiu, Wow! It looks as though you have a grasp of what you are trying to do so I'm glad that you at least have a starting point and a good idea of the concepts needed. So, I remembered a tutorial on you tube that sort of shows how to manipulate your object, in this case I would presume your using a cube as a starting shape.

So, check out this this link on you-tube and maybe it will guide you closer.

Keep up the good work! STU

Return to posts index

Tiberiu Neagu
on Jun 26, 2009 at 1:28:12 am

Hi Stu

wow, thanks for that tutorial. It helped me gain a lot of new ideas, and although i didnt use poly to make my ribbon, i created a path (basically the shape of the ribbon), made my ribbon-generating curve animate along it (atttach to motion path), then created my animation sweep based on that animation (it was a lot smoother).

Final result is here:
http://www.scoala195.org/ribbon-final-test6.jpg

i can't even believe i did this knowing close to nothing about 3D modelling :)

thanks a lot for your help, and any feedback is greatly appreciated!
Tiberiu

Return to posts index

Stuart Christensen
on Jun 29, 2009 at 7:32:05 pm

Hey Tiberiu! OK, now it looks like you're on the right path. So now you've been bitten by the Maya Bug and from here on out the sky is the limit. I'm impressed that you got the basics of curves and how to shade stuff under your belt so quickly. This can be the hardest part of learning Maya! Stay with it and get some of the manuals to give you a good framework of how the program works, and you'll find that Maya will soon take over your life! it did mine! Best of luck. STU

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]