FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pinpression animation like Only by NIN

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Arwinder Singh  Bhurji
Pinpression animation like Only by NIN
on Jun 22, 2009 at 8:39:38 pm

Hello,
i just saw a song by Nine Inch Nail - Only, and there is this awesome animation of pinpressions.
I was wondering if any one could help me out as to how it was done.
i am thinking of doing it in maya.
thank you

Return to posts index

Stuart Christensen
Re: Pinpression animation like Only by NIN
on Jul 1, 2009 at 6:14:38 pm

Hello Arwinder! Sorry it took so long to respond to your post. I haven't seen the NIN video but I kind of know the effect you are trying to achieve. Take a look at Alvaro Castaneda's particle basics tutorial here on the cow. In the tutorial he shows some particle effects that seem to be the same thing you are describing.

Essentially you need to fill a plane with particles and then use your model (ie. face or object) as a collider. If you animate the face or object to "rise up" underneath the plane the particles can take on the shape of the object. I know this is kind of vague but watch the tutorial and I think you will get a good idea as to how to approach this effect. Best of Luck! STU

I know alot....but not as much as the other guy.

Return to posts index

Joe Laude
on Jul 10, 2009 at 3:10:20 am

If you go to Digital Domain's website, you can see a behind the scenes video. Doesn't really describe the nuts and bolts of it, but it's interesting.

They shot Reznor on green screen, and basically created a fake depth map of his face. My guess is that they used this video of his face and wrote a script that animated the individual pins by the lightness value of the corresponding area in the video.

Return to posts index

Alvaro Castaneda
on Jul 10, 2009 at 2:49:35 pm

HI
I'm sure they made that in Houdini, cause that is very easy to do in Houdini, if maya had a point operator or modifier, that might be doable, I did try to made this in maya, but haven't figure out how.

I'll try one more time to see if I can do it

----------------------
varomix - pixelEater
http://www.intelianimate.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]