FORUMS: list search recent posts

I am still having image problems

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steven Probets
I am still having image problems
on Jun 19, 2009 at 9:17:56 am

I have managed to put my image on a vector pane. I want to position the image correctly on the pane - is there a easy way to do this? I need to move it left and right and re size it. The UV coordinate box is yellowed and I cannot enter different values. Also, when I render the scene the image does not show, what do I have to do to ensure rendering with the image intact? Thanks all :-)

Return to posts index

Stuart Christensen
Re: I am still having image problems
on Jun 19, 2009 at 4:59:34 pm

Hello Steven. There are a number of ways to attach an image to a plane to size it correctly to fit. The easiest way is to probably take a UV snapshot of the UV and open that UVsnapshot in Photoshop and paste the image layer over the UV. Then reapply the image to the plane by using the standard hypershade connecting mode.

First make sure you are in object mode and select the plane in the viewport, (it should be highlighted in green), then on the left hand column toolbar you will have a choice to choose the Persp/UV texture editor window (which is a black color grid). That will open the UV Texture window. You will see a grey grid with white lines. This is the UV you will be applying the texture to.

Make sure you are in the Polygon Mode Menu. Right mouse drag and select the entire UV grid. It will turn a brownish color, then go to the Menu-choose CreateUVs -- Automatic mapping, and choose that option. The UV will resize itself and you will see it in the editing window. Right mouse click and hold anywhere on the grey UV texure area and switch to UV (not edge,face or vertex). Then LMB click hold drag to select the entire UV. Now you will see green points at each of the vertices. That means that all of them are active and ready to be converted to a snapshot.

In the UV texture editor window go to the polygons menu dropdown and choose UVsnapshot. It will ask you to name it and save it.

Open this document in photoshop and you will see that it is basically a white grid with a black background. Drop the image you want to use on top of this grid and lower it's opacity to 50 percent or so. Now you will see the UV outline and the image so you can do you alignments. When finished, raise the opacity level back up to 100 percent and save the file. Then, go back into maya and create a new Lambert and attach the file to that Lambert and attach that to your plane.

That's one way to do it.

check out the online tutorials(you-tube etc.) for using the texture editor and you will benefit from seeing this method and others in action. Hope that helps. STU

I know alot....but not as much as the other guy.

Return to posts index

Stuart Christensen
on Jun 19, 2009 at 5:25:10 pm

minor correction to response:

"Make sure you are in the Polygon Mode Menu. Right mouse drag and select the entire UV grid." is incorrect.

Actually you should LEFT MOUSE DRAG.

Sorry for the confusion. STU

I know alot....but not as much as the other guy.

Return to posts index

Steven Probets
on Jun 21, 2009 at 5:47:57 pm

Thats very very helpful. Thank you so much! Texturing is my weakest area :) ta!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]