FORUMS: list search recent posts

Maximum Lights in Maya

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stuart Christensen
Maximum Lights in Maya
on Jun 18, 2009 at 6:23:55 am

Hello! I was just wondering if there is a maximum number of lights that Maya is capable of handling. The reason I ask is that I'm adding quite a few lights to scene and the latest additions don't seem to be having any effect. Could it be that I added too many? Thanks for any help! STU

I know alot....but not as much as the other guy.

Return to posts index

Michiel Duvekot
Re: Maximum Lights in Maya
on Jun 18, 2009 at 1:33:40 pm

In software rendering, there is no hard limit. In hardware rendering, openGL imposes restrictions, and 8 lights is the maximum number.

Michiel
http://www.thnkr.com

Return to posts index

Stuart Christensen
Re: Maximum Lights in Maya
on Jun 18, 2009 at 5:04:49 pm

Thanks Michiel! Somewhere along the way I read that there was a light limit of some sort but forgot where the info was and how to get around it. I've been using Mental Ray for the renders. I have 8 lights currently and I need to add one more. That was exactly the problem!
I switched to Maya software to render and it's now working.

However, with software rendering I'm now getting "less light" from some of the other lights. Mental Ray was doing a fantastic job of rendering the scene as I see it in the viewport. Is there a downside to rendering with the Maya Software option? The scene is about 2000 frames long and takes about 3 hours to render with Mental Ray.

As well, I can't see the effects of the "9th" light interactively, only after a test frame render I can see the results. Is this normal? I'm sort of new to Maya so any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks! STU

I know alot....but not as much as the other guy.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]