FORUMS: list search recent posts

3DS Max vs. Maya

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Seery
3DS Max vs. Maya
on Jun 18, 2009 at 3:38:52 am

I am looking to purchase either 3DS Max or Maya and am having a hard time finding a feature comparison. I am a compositor looking to get more heavily into 3d. I primarliy want to create 3d photo realistic set extensions and do some character animation. Which is the best product for me? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Stuart Christensen
Re: 3DS Max vs. Maya
on Jun 18, 2009 at 5:18:02 pm

Hello! Ahhh yes, the proverbial which is better comparison. I can't say I know anything about 3ds because I'm a Maya user. However, I heavily researched the two before committing to Maya mainly because there is more documentation and help books for Maya. And trust me, you will need to read alot about how to get things done in either program. In short, they are both awesome programs and either will do for what you are trying to accomplish.

I love Maya for the compositing aspect because it's so easy to export an image sequence from Maya (.iff sequence) and drop it into After Effects for more compositing.

Both programs are industry standards and I've seen amazing results from both programs.

Take a look at the availability of books, tutorials etc. before committing and see which interface you like better. Maya, for me was (is!) a continual learning curve as it should be. However, the first day I got Maya I was able to create some stuff, shade it and make it fly around and I was (and still am!) blown away by the depth that Maya has to offer. Just my two cents! Cheers! STU

I know alot....but not as much as the other guy.

Return to posts index

Tom Seery
on Jun 18, 2009 at 8:46:42 pm

Stuart, I appreciate your response. That was very helpful. I do a lot of After Effects work so the fact that Maya integrates well is a real plus. Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Phil Hoppes
on Jun 19, 2009 at 3:58:05 am

I too did a fair amount of research before jumping ahead with Maya. I too however am not too familiar with 3DS so my comments relate more to my external observations. One of the largest feature differences is that Maya works with both nurbs as well as polygons while 3DS only works with polygons. Nurbs aren't a panacea but there have been a number of objects that are a snap to model with nurbs and a major pain to try and model with polygons. Having both allows you the best of both worlds. In general, to what I could gain from my limited research, 3DS came more from an architecture background while Maya (Alias days) was the bread and butter of movie and game animation. Today I don't believe that can be said of either. Personally I liked the fact that Maya can be programmed using Python as well as MEL and for me Maya (at the time I purchased ) Maya was supported on the Mac as well as PC. I use a Mac so that was important. In general, I would have to say there are more free models for 3DS than Maya but there is a slew of training material for Maya which is very important. I still feel like I am drinking from a fire hose working with Maya and never cease to be impressed with what can be done. I'm sure that 3DS is an equally powerful application but for me I'm on the Maya boat.

Return to posts index

Adam Benson
on Jun 28, 2009 at 9:21:16 am

I started using 3DS Max in 2000, in 2007 I switched over to Maya. For years I always said "anything you can do in Maya you can do just as well in Max". I still believe that. However, my main focus in industry is film and video visual effects. That being said, when I made the switch to Maya I was amazed at how finely tuned Maya is to filmmakers. I still love Max, and there are a few things that I think Max does generally better than Maya, and many things Maya does better than Max. But in my opinion 3DS Max is a multi-purpose tool, tuned to work exceptionally well for any application; games, films, medical, full animation... you name it... but it's not specialized toward any one thing. Maya seems a little more specialized to me. It is also a multi-purpose tool, good for any application, however, I will say that it was definitely designed with film makers specifically in mind. I use Maya almost exclusively these days, and I've planned to make it my only pipeline in the near future. Again, I'm a visual effects guy.

Adam Benson
Visual Effects Artist/Musician/Sound Engineer/Editor
http://www.SleepDeprivedProductions.com
http://www.SleepDeprivedFilms.com

Return to posts index

Matt Nielsen
on Jun 22, 2009 at 1:20:02 am

This is one of those topics that generally sparks a lot of debate among 3d developers. When choosing which program to invest your time in you really have to take a good look at what you want to accomplish. In the past it could be seen that if you wanted to get into special effects, movies that kind of area of expertise Maya was the way to go, whereas if you wanted to get into the games industry max was generally the standard. They more or less cross over these days with the addition of various other programs making their way into the pipeline e.g. Zbrush for movies, Mudbox etc. In my experience I have found Maya to be much easier to learn as the layout of the GUI seemed a lot more organised, straightforward and fairly simple. The menu systems are broken up into their categories e.g. Polygon, Surfaces, Animation, Rendering which simplifies things. The best piece of advice I can give is to step back and take a good look at what area of the industry you want to go into and research it extensively to determine which program best suits you. I hope this helps

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
on Jun 26, 2009 at 8:13:46 am

Hi.

I have a bit used max and now i'm learning maya and boy does maya do stuff faster and is more organized. As sayed before like fire hose and more tutorials and stuff. I definetly will rely on maya in future.

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]