FORUMS: list search recent posts

No RAM for Rendering

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Kinnaird
No RAM for Rendering
on Jun 12, 2009 at 2:35:32 am

I have created a monster and now it is eating me.

The story so far:

I have a scene with a very heavy ship model in it. I also have a cached water plane( nurbs approx 125x125 ). I didn't know any better and created approx 20 textures that are bitmaps (that last one wasn't easy to confess :) ).

I'm rendering out the ship only but must have the water plane there (with use BG shader) to mask out how the water interacts with the hull.

The first time I batch rendered the scene I got about 70 frames and the render quit and messaged me "render complete" even though it wasn't. The next render got about half as many frames. Each successive render was fewer and fewer until now I can not get a single frame to render. I get errors about low memory.

Spent the last three days trying to track down similar issues online. Have tried the easy fixes with no luck:

Exported-imported everything in the scene
turned tesselation way down in the render options
rendered from the command line
ran a render diagnostic and adjusted each recommendation as much as possible
I've increased my virtual memory to no effect

I'm going to reinstall maya tonight. If that doesn't work, I'm then looking at buying more ram (although that seems pointless since I've got 2gb and from what I've read maya only uses 1.5 max. right?)

Am so desperate, I even considered rendering it out one frame at a time in the render view! I can't even follow thru on that lame plan because the scene crashes with a runtime error after playing approx 160 of 422 frames. Even though the water is cached I can't type in frame 322 because when it jumps there the water blows out ( How can it blow out if it is cached?)

So...Here are a few questions:

1. Does simply checking the "use BOT" box in the attr ed for my textures turn them into BOTs?

2. If a memory leak is involved, wouldn't rebooting clear it and free up my ram again?

3. Does BSP apply only to Mental Ray? I am not using MR in my scene.

4. Can someone explain what it is to "force the tile sizer"?

5. What do these mean and how are they implemented: -TW, -TH (16-256)?

I'm self taught and a relative noob. This scene has really gotten away from me but I'm in a bit too deep to make drastic changes. I've already rendered out several layers of effects. The scene is such a hog it takes sometimes minutes to save so reworking it makes me want to kill myself.

Is there any chance of saving my scene?

Thanks for reading and sorry it was so long. I know I'm long winded but I wanted to let you know that I've really been trying to fix it on my own, not just jumping on at the first sign of trouble and asking someone to bail me out.

:)

Return to posts index

Tim Kinnaird
Re: No RAM for Rendering
on Jun 12, 2009 at 3:26:48 am

http://www.stillmixtup.com/NoRam.html

This is a link where I've posted my system specs, render diagnostic, render error message and a couple renders from the scene.

As if this weren't muddy enough, some of those errors pertain to objects that aren't in this half of the render. The scene used to have a clean boat model (pictured in link above) and a post explosion boat model that I switch out by visibility. to lighten the scene I deleted everything that is post explosion and will render that out separately. So for instance some flames were mapped to a light but that won't be happening until after the explosion. So all those "blur tif" errors can be ignored.

What a MESS!!!!!!!!

If you are still reading...Thank You!

ANY pointers or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

Alvaro Castaneda
on Jun 12, 2009 at 2:31:32 pm

Hi
First of all, nice ship man

I would try combining as much as I could of the ship, if possible, make it a single object, and delete the modeling history, then try to render it like that, also I see you are doing particles, I'll never use the real geo for that, I'll use a stand in, and maybe render them separate, all that in one scene is a lot of stress, :D

Also, baking the particles sim helps, cause that way you can safely resume renders in the middle and get the expected result.

try that man.

----------------------
varomix - pixelEater
http://www.intelianimate.com

Return to posts index

Michiel Duvekot
on Jun 12, 2009 at 4:08:03 pm

Reinstalling Maya won't help. Don't waste your time on that. Upgrading to 64 bit hardware and a 64 bit OS will.

1. Does simply checking the "use BOT" box in the attr ed for my textures turn them into BOTs?

You'll want to turn this on, but it would be better to prepare our textures as bot files. See http://download.autodesk.com/us/maya/2009help/Commands/makebot.html

2. If a memory leak is involved, wouldn't rebooting clear it and free up my ram again?

Yes. even restarting the app would, and you could wrte a batch file that will start the renderer again for each frame you're rendering to avoid having to do this.

3. Does BSP apply only to Mental Ray? I am not using MR in my scene.

Yes, that only applies to mental ray

4. Can someone explain what it is to "force the tile sizer"?

the maya s renderer uses tiles (the little squares you see in the Render View. Smaller tiles uses less RAM but make the renderer slower. Large tiles render faster but require more RAM. You can leave it to the renderer to figure out what tile size is optimal or try to reduce memory use to the maximum by setting the tile siuze to 16

5. What do these mean and how are they implemented: -TW, -TH (16-256)?
these are command line arguments that should be use as -tw 16 -th 16

I'm self taught and a relative noob. This scene has really gotten away from me but I'm in a bit too deep to make drastic changes. I've already rendered out several layers of effects. The scene is such a hog it takes sometimes minutes to save so reworking it makes me want to kill myself.

Is there any chance of saving my scene?

Yes.

Michiel
http://www.thnkr.com

Return to posts index

Tim Kinnaird
on Sep 9, 2009 at 12:29:16 pm

Hello Alvaro and Michiel! Thanks so much for all your help.

I've limped this one home OR at least as far as I'm willing to take it. There are bandaids on bandaids holding it all together! Still some things to fix but just can't bear going into the scene again. the ship really needs some painted textures but that would be yet another unknown for me so I'll let it go as-is. I'm not crazy about the scale of the waves and how they interact with the ship but the water was the biggest hit against my cpu. I wanted a big ripple wave moving out from the explosion but springs on the water surface made my computer yell at me.

I learned alot about effects but have only just scratched the surface.

Here is a link if you want to see the finished shot:

http://www.stillmixtup.com/sultana/SultanaDL.html

I'd recommend DL of the 'darker' version to start with. The shot is an mpeg just under 20 seconds.

Thanks again for all your help and encouragement!

Tim K.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]