FORUMS: list search recent posts

Approximation Editor (displacement Map) And Hard Edges. How do I keep my edge corners hard, while displacing inside?

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Morris
Approximation Editor (displacement Map) And Hard Edges. How do I keep my edge corners hard, while displacing inside?
on May 26, 2009 at 4:21:51 pm

I've created a simple polygon box and deleted the top and bottom. Then, I've drawn a grayscale displacement map and applied it to the displacement on the blinn material so the surface of my object can have displacement detail. In order to get a good displacement, I've created a Subdivision Approximation node on the object and set the method to Parametric with N subdivisions set to the default 2.

When I render in mental ray (set to production quality) the edges/corners of the box collapse in on themselves as if the approximation editor is trying to smooth the entire object. How can I set my 4 corners to not do this and remain hard edge (square) corners? I'm using Maya 2009, by the way. Thanks.

Fine Art Drawings | Photography | Compositing | VFX | Titles | Keying | 3D

Return to posts index

Alvaro Castaneda
Re: Approximation Editor (displacement Map) And Hard Edges. How do I keep my edge corners hard, while displacing inside?
on May 28, 2009 at 4:56:02 am

add edges close the edges to maintain the shape

----------------------
varomix - pixelEater
http://www.intelianimate.com

Return to posts index

Robert Morris
Re: Approximation Editor (displacement Map) And Hard Edges. How do I keep my edge corners hard, while displacing inside?
on May 28, 2009 at 5:12:57 am

I'm sorry, but that makes no sense to me. Please be more specific.

BTW, my edges are closed, as per my original message.

Return to posts index

Alvaro Castaneda
on May 28, 2009 at 5:21:15 am

yeah that sounds weird :D

add edgeloops near the corners so you can keep that detail when you subdivide

hope that makes sense :D

----------------------
varomix - pixelEater
http://www.intelianimate.com

Return to posts index

Robert Morris
on May 28, 2009 at 2:05:37 pm

Thanks. I've been adding bevels at the edges. But that still doesn't change the approximation editors effect on my geometry.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]