FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compositing 3D text into a scene

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Richards
Compositing 3D text into a scene
on May 22, 2009 at 6:18:43 am

I've created some 3D text in Maya that I want to composite into a scene I shot with a hand held camera. I want it to appear as if the text has been placed on a solid surface within the video (a table). I've tracked the footage in PFTrack and can export the camera data to Maya and After Effects.

I'm new to Maya and so I'm wondering if there's someway I can do this composite within Maya? If not:

I'm much more comfortable with After Effects, and have used camera data from PFTrack to composite in After Effects before. How do I apply the camera data from PFTrack to my text in Maya, and then export the animation with the text into After Effects for compositing?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Alvaro Castaneda
Re: Compositing 3D text into a scene
on May 22, 2009 at 2:50:56 pm

Hi

What you need to do is

Export the solution from PFTrack as a maya scene
open that scene in maya, import your text there, and place it, render that scene with only the text on it, composite the back plate and the text in after fx, then, be happy :D

----------------------
varomix - pixelEater
http://www.intelianimate.com

Return to posts index

Andy Richards
on May 22, 2009 at 3:24:12 pm

Thanks!

Is there anyway I can import the footage into Maya to use as a reference for placing the text?

Return to posts index

Alvaro Castaneda
on May 22, 2009 at 4:03:02 pm

Sure
actually the camera exported from PFtrack will have the footage attached

----------------------
varomix - pixelEater
http://www.intelianimate.com

Return to posts index

Andy Richards
on May 22, 2009 at 7:22:01 pm

Thanks for your help, I'm almost there!

OK so I've imported my camera and the reference footage into Maya and have the text where I want it and it stays on the surface of the table as I want it to. When I do a render view of my scene, however, it's just black. Is this because I need to light the text? Or have I done something else wrong?

Once I have this figured out, I need to export it so I can composite in After Effects. The background footage is already in AE. I just need to know how to get my Maya animated text (with matchmoved camera animation) into AE.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Andy Richards
on May 22, 2009 at 7:31:51 pm

Never mind that last post, I got my footage to preview render properly (I was pressing the wrong button...). Now I just need to know how to export the match-moved, animated text into After Effects.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]