FORUMS: list search recent posts

merging edges......polygon head.

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
April Henderson
merging edges......polygon head.
on May 1, 2009 at 5:34:26 pm

Hiyah!! Happy May Day!!

I was just working on one of my first head models, though I think I've followed a fairly methodical procedure and doing a decent job. It's fun. However......

I started at the eye and started extruding edges and sometime later, I noticed some of the borders I tried to merge wouldn't merge. Apparently I must have made some little mistakes. The geometry looks great to me, but for example, when I click faces, I've notices a few faces "centre dots" are showing up on a various edges. Without really knowing, instead of merging borders, I just merged vertices as a fast fix.
Do you have any tips on this? You think maybe later I can fix it up without too much trouble?

Return to posts index

Matt Nielsen
Re: merging edges......polygon head.
on May 2, 2009 at 12:55:07 am

Ok by the sounds of things you may have a few issues. Firstly if you have edges that have dots located at the centre of the edge this means that you have used the extrude tool at some point and you haven't pulled out the edge or face. I'd recommend going through your construction history to find out when you performed the extra extrude and delete the operation. Once you have removed all of the extra operations applied to the mesh there are a few different ways of merging a couple of edges together. If you type in Maya documentation into a search engine locate the Maya documentation page and look up the following options;

Merge Edges/Vertices
Bridging

This will give you exact examples to work from and show you the correct way of performing this. To merge edges and vertices together first combine the objects then merge their components. If you can't find the exact method on the Maya site write back to this post detailing what version of Maya you have and I will write out a step by step for you. Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

April Henderson
on May 2, 2009 at 1:16:43 am

Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate as I couldn't find anything on the net. One of the weird things happening was as extruded another edge, 2 and even 4 edges were all coming out simultaneously. Funny, 'cause I thought things were going so smoothly. A lot of strange things can go wrong I see. I'll try to follow your advice and see how it pans out.

Thanks very much!!

Return to posts index

April Henderson
on May 2, 2009 at 6:03:44 am

I see what's happening now! I just started sculpting away with the smooth brush and it reveals that within every polygon I extruded, it looks as though an entire cube was also extruded. So much more than a simple edge was extruded. I know this is such a novice question, but is there some type of multiface extrude they have perhaps been turned on? Nearly every extrude seems to be the same. This is a shame, because it was the best head model I've ever made.

Return to posts index

Matt Nielsen
on May 4, 2009 at 12:19:27 am

What has happened is at some point you have used the extrude tool with the entire mesh selected. So basically instead of only extruding a face, edge or vertex you have extruded every aspect of the model essentially creating another one underneath it while still being attached to the original surface. So from now on you will have to be very very careful as to when and how you use these tools. Don't worry it happens to the best of us, and unfortunately you have had to learn the hard way. Now there are a couple of ways to fix this. Before I write out a step by step method of fixing this I need to know what version of Maya you are working in as there are significant differences between the versions. What works in Maya 8.5 may not work in 2008 or 2009.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]