FORUMS: list search recent posts

Conforming polygonal objects to a nurbs surface

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Phil Hoppes
Conforming polygonal objects to a nurbs surface
on Apr 26, 2009 at 7:17:38 pm

I am creating a model of a custom glass sink. The sink itself is a typical bowl and as such I’ve made it from a simple revolve of a nurbs curve. The material is mia-material-x shaded to be almost clear, thick glass. That’s the easy part. I am trying to show what the final sink will look like and as it will be constructed in glass, there will be hundreds of embedded cobalt blue frit (chips if you will) embedded in the glass. I’m looking for an easy (other than by hand) way to attache hundreds of polygon objects to the curve of the bowl so that they may be placed inside the glass. I tried making the objects and the bowl rigid objects and have them fall into place where I could then lock them in place but out towards the edge they flip and fall and basically that does not work very well. This may be best accomplished with a MEL script but I’m not sure how to get the points on the inside surface of the bowl, which I would need as a location to place polygon objects.

Attached is a quick picture of a couple objects placed by hand. It is a very tedious and difficult procedure to place and align by hand, let alone to try and do that for hundreds of objects.

Return to posts index

Phil Hoppes
Re: Conforming polygonal objects to a nurbs surface
on Apr 26, 2009 at 7:59:06 pm

Here is the picture

I did not do it right the first time.

Return to posts index

Matt Nielsen
Re: Conforming polygonal objects to a nurbs surface
on May 2, 2009 at 1:02:21 am

If I were you I would use a texture with either displacement mapping or bump mapping. If you replicate these polygonal objects hundreds/thousands of times your render times will blow out but if you use a texture correctly you will get the same effect. I hope this helps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]