FORUMS: list search recent posts

Constraint to surface / point

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Roper
Constraint to surface / point
on Apr 12, 2009 at 6:19:38 pm

Hello

I'm relatively new to Maya and am tearing my hair out trying to constrain something to a point. Not the usual point constraint, but a constraint to a surface point. I've tried a geometry constraint, but for some reason get an error saying "target must be of type GeometryShape". The target is a nurbs cylinder which has two animated non-linear bend deformers on it. (The first bend deformer is to create a spring out of a nurbs cylinder and the second one is to give it some flexibility along its length. I want to add a jack-in-the-box type head to the top of it).

All I want to do is press F8, select a point on the spring and constrain something to this point. Is this too much to ask? Maya seems to think so! Or am I missing the "point" completely?! By the way, I'm using an antiquated Maya version 6.5...anyone remember that?

- Paul

Return to posts index

Geoffrey Beatty
Re: Constraint to surface / point
on May 7, 2009 at 1:19:36 am

I've found this little script to be useful. It's called "rivet.mel" and it can be found at <http://www.geocities.com/bazhutkin/>. It creates a locator based on a surface point that you can then parent the jack-in-the-box head to. Place the downloaded script into your preferences scripts folder, source it from the script editor, and then execute it (more info should be included in the header of the script). Good luck.

Return to posts index

Paul Roper
Re: Constraint to surface / point
on May 7, 2009 at 9:11:46 am

Sounds like exactly what I'm looking for! Seems kind of odd that such a basic feature does not exist in Maya.

Will download & try that script right away.

Many thanks, Geoffrey!

- Paul

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]