FORUMS: list search recent posts

I need a dynamic hair solution! Quick!

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Benson
I need a dynamic hair solution! Quick!
on Apr 6, 2009 at 8:14:35 pm

Hey everyone,
So, I'm doing a complex animation, some of which is using "Make Selected Curves Dynamic" to create a series of ropes that connect both to the ceiling of my model and to one of the objects (well, actually 80 ropes on 80 different objects, but same difference) in the model. Now the object in the model is sliding out the back and dropping out of frame with the ceiling rope following it in ONLY the z direction, at which point the "Rope" detaches from one end and then blows around in the wind.
Ok, all that works fine.
My problem is with the way the ropes are stretching. Now, before you go there, I know... Set the HairSystem to "No Stretch". That would be great, but the problem that I'm running into is this:
Whenever the "wind" blows the rope, the rope creates an arc of, lets say, 45 degrees. Like a backward "C". It's stretching further than I want it to. I want the rope to stay taunt. So, I set it to "No Stretch". Ok. Now the rope doesn't stretch, but it still goes out to fit that SAME 45 degree arc. Now all it does is pull itself away from one of my constraints, while maintaining the angle. That result is more undesirable than the stretching. So, I'm looking for someway to both keep the constraints in their places (until I release one of them) AND keep the ropes at roughly the same length.
Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help.

Adam Benson
Visual Effects Artist/Musician/Sound Engineer/Editor
http://www.sleepdeprivedproductions.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]