FORUMS: list search recent posts

Maya Rendering and Double Compression

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Li Fuji
Maya Rendering and Double Compression
on Apr 6, 2009 at 5:21:32 pm

I want my final product to render out at 720x480. I am rendering clips through maya and then importing them into after effects and rendering them out of after effects and then probably importing them into final cut and then exporting the final mov.

I am deathly afraid of getting a terribly low quality video due to the amount of compression. Would it be best to render my Maya files in HD and making them smaller later?

Return to posts index

Adam Benson
Re: Maya Rendering and Double Compression
on Apr 6, 2009 at 8:03:54 pm

Hello Li,
Rendering them out at a higher resolution will give you "better" results when you down-convert, but I wouldn't necessarily call that the best solution. Really, your best solution for dealing with compression would be to learn your compression and deal with it from the start. In my opinion, you'll be better off trying to avoid compression as much as possible until your final output. That's not to say that you shouldn't use it at all, but just use it with caution. There are many "Lossless" and many "Lossy" compression formats. Stay away from the Lossy compression, as these get rid of data as their method of compression. JPEG is a lossy compression. So is GIF. Every time that you save it, it's going to lose more and more data. JPEG works by averaging pixel colors. So if all the colors in a given area are "close" to the same color it just calls them all the same color and throws out the other data. TIFF, TGA, RLA, IFF, and RPF are all lossless formats. When they compress they only compress data that IS the same, thus when they re-expand nothing is lost.
If you're going out to a compiled format, like MOV or AVI then you have to be a lot more diligent in maintaining your compression quality. This will be the CODEC that your MOV or AVI (or other) saves in. I'm going to assume MOV, although I highly recommend using frame sequences for anything dealing with CG or Compositing. In an MOV format a really good compression for maintaining quality will be the Animation CODEC. This is a solid, lossless codec that is fairly universal and saves every bit of data, plus it has a great color space. Most other CODECs, H.264, Sorenson, Indio Video, etc are all lossy compressions and they WILL degrade your work.
Again, your best bet will be to export frame sequences using IFF, TIFF, RLA or TGA. Those will ensure that no data is lost, PLUS, if your computer crashes or dies in the middle of rendering then you haven't lost your render at all! That's where I learned my lesson. Most of these frame sequence formats will also automatically save your Alpha channel, and if you choose, your Z-depth as well, which can be really handy for compositing. The compiled formats will do it too, but, I'm really a frame lover. I do almost all of my work with frames. And honestly, I haven't lost a frame, a render, or any quality in many years.
Hope this helps. Good luck.

Adam Benson
Visual Effects Artist/Musician/Sound Engineer/Editor
http://www.sleepdeprivedproductions.com

Return to posts index

Li Fuji
on Apr 6, 2009 at 9:35:29 pm

Thank you! This was extremely helpful.

Return to posts index

Adam Benson