FORUMS: list search recent posts

about maya

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ramneek Singh
about maya
on Mar 30, 2009 at 11:19:00 am

i had attended a one day workshop of maya and got to learn many things about it....is it enough??????i havent practised it after that.....but i remember the things...i am asking because i want to go for animations next year...

Return to posts index

Adam Benson
Re: about maya
on Apr 6, 2009 at 7:38:48 pm

Hello Ramneek,
Well, I would have to say after nine years in intensive CG artistry that, with the best teacher in the world, a one day class won't even brush the surface. I'd have to say that a one day class would be like seeing a concept car on a showroom floor. It looks cool, and the host will tell you all sorts of things about it, but that doesn't mean that you're going to go home and build one yourself.
I started in 3D in 2000. I had been using Photoshop on a professional level since about 1993 and I thought that knowing that, CG should be a walk in the park. Now, I'm one of those guys that figures things out pretty damned quickly, and so (I was using 3DS Max at the time) I thought I'd just dive in a be a CG artist in a few weeks. Yeah. I got my ass handed to me.
What I'll say about the 3D world is that you NEVER stop learning it. And it's going to expand faster than you can keep up with everything. You will spend years honing your skills, and if you REALLY want to be a CG artist plan on spending most of the rest of your waking life learning Maya, Max, Lightwave.... whichever. More than any other software package that I've ever learned (and I've literally memorized most of them. No, seriously, Memorized them!) the CG world is so vast and intensive that it really takes an expert to be an expert. By that I mean, work hard, study hard and learn hard, and never stop. If you do that, you'll do fine. Just don't expect a one-day class to get you a job at Pixar.
Good luck.

Adam Benson
Visual Effects Artist/Musician/Sound Engineer/Editor
http://www.sleepdeprivedproductions.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]