FORUMS: list search recent posts

Newbie Question - particle instancer & rbd

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
rod packer
Newbie Question - particle instancer & rbd
on Mar 26, 2009 at 9:36:46 am

Hello,

I am just starting out using/learning Maya (but have used a few other packages (e.g. Houdini) that work differently in that regard).

I am trying to create a volcano explosion and have a few layers of debris driven by particles and the particle instancer. Some of these consist of heavier rock layers and I want those to accurately roll down the mountain after they fall down. As far as I can see so far I can not directly get these instanced objects to be affected by the RBD solver and so am using the NimbleTools to uninstance them at a certain point while they are still in the air and apply the rbd solver to them.
These created objects need to inherit the speed of the particles used with the instancer. I know how to grab the relevant velocity vector information of the particles and set it as impulse speed for the rbd objects if I only use one object (or do it hideously by hand for each of them).
However I am - so far - failing in coming up with a script that grabs the perParticle info of those vectors (I can do that bit) and then apply them to the adequate rbd object.

Is there a way of doing this or is my approach completely going of track here?

It sounds to me like this is something that has been done before, but cannot find any reference source.
Any help, hint or link highly appreciated.

thanx
rodpacker

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]