FORUMS: list search recent posts

realistic gravity

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Teo Camporeale
realistic gravity
on Mar 4, 2009 at 7:46:10 pm

Hi, I'm working on a dynamic rigid body scene in which my units are set to feet. I'm trying to figure out the correct gravity value so that objects fall at the correct speed. Maya's docs say that the 9.8 meter/sec value is actually calculated at centimeters by default. Maybe this is because the scene is usually set to centimeters by default. Anyway, to figure out how many seconds it should take for something to fall from a given height, I'm wondering if I should just convert the 9.8 m/sec so Feet/sec, or 32.15 feet/ sec.
Can anyone offer advice? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Nelson Row
Re: realistic gravity
on Mar 23, 2009 at 3:04:04 pm

Hi Teo,
How have you been?

Regarding your query, dynamics scale is always in centimeters even your grid scale is changed, so you would need to either have had build your scene in real-scale, or simply turn up the gravity until it looks good enough.

All dynamics are calculated in cm. From particles, rigid/soft bodies to Nucleus, regardless of grid units.

HTH, and hope you're well. Haven't seen you on the subway in ages.

Return to posts index

Teo Camporeale
Re: realistic gravity
on Mar 23, 2009 at 6:01:32 pm

Thanks Nelson, I've been great! Yeah, I did end up with values that reflect what you're saying, after playing awhile with it. Since I'm working in feet, ended up with a gravity number that seemed close to a meter to foot conversion... Anyway, thanks for the insight!
Hope you're well too. If you'd like to keep in touch, please send a current email to me at: teo.camporeale@verizon.net

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]