FORUMS: list search recent posts

Triggering instances

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Benson
Triggering instances
on Feb 28, 2009 at 9:55:20 pm

Hey All,
I need a way to take a complex model that's moving passed a point in space and have it trigger an animation on one part of it, AND be able to be instanced some 70 odd times and have each one of the instances react to the same trigger when they reach that point in space individually. I've tried driven keys, and I've tried writing a few expressions. The issue I keep running into is the instancing. As soon as I instance the model, when ONE of them passed the trigger they ALL react. NO! I need them to react individually! I really can't afford to just make copies. This model is simply too complex to handle the amount of data that 70+ copies would do to my already ridiculous file size and render time. I have about 36 hours to get this finished, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Adam Benson
Visual Effects Artist/Musician/Sound Engineer/Editor
http://www.sleepdeprivedproductions.com

Return to posts index

Alvaro Castaneda
Re: Triggering instances
on Mar 1, 2009 at 2:58:01 pm

Hi Adam
You could try doing the instances with particles and control them by PerParticle attributes.

Are all the instances doing the same animation?, just starts in a different time?
cause if that is the case. you could bake that to disk and only load them at render time I think the new mentalray has that, they call that proxies I think, I ve done this only on renderman, with very nice results, in renderman is called delay loading.
Tell please if this helps you and any details so I can understant it a bit better

here's my MSN : varomix@yahoo.com that's for MSN and yahoooIM
hope I can help you

----------------------
varomix - pixelEater
http://www.intelianimate.com

Return to posts index

Adam Benson
Re: Triggering instances
on Mar 1, 2009 at 7:45:49 pm

Hey Alvaro,
I hadn't considered using a per-particle attribute to drive the animation, and that's definitely a great avenue to look into. After much frustration I decided to grab the ol' reference materials and started looking into crowd simulation scripts, because they use reference proxies combine with animation tracks to load the proxy file and the animation track at the appropriate time; much like what you're describing. So, I'm going to do some R&D on that today and see if it can solve my problem.
One of my issues has been that I'm using a baked rigid body simulation to control one aspect of the animation, and then a hair system mixed with whichever trigger I can get to work for the ropes, and it's basically the ropes that need the trigger animation. I could bake the simulation and just move keys around if it came down to it, but part of the reason for the simulation is to vary it up enough to make it look natural.... over 70 times. Not really a terrible number I know... but when you can't get 2 to work, 70.... well, 70 or 2 really doesn't make any difference, except if I have to do everything manually (suck). The problem is neither work right now.
Thanks for the advice. I'll let you know what I find out.

Adam Benson
Visual Effects Artist/Musician/Sound Engineer/Editor
http://www.sleepdeprivedproductions.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]