FORUMS: list search recent posts

light bulb in Maya

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Sabo
light bulb in Maya
on Feb 26, 2009 at 6:31:12 pm

Hi.My first post.
I am new to Maya and I am trying to make a light bulb for a project that will be used for web and print. Anything I have made so far looks like solid glass and not thin. I have not tried the metal part yet.

I really need help with the what/how materials to use to get a nice thin glass. Well, I guess help regarding modeling/materials/lighting/rendering.
From what I have been reading so far that with clear/refracted material the lighting and background will play a huge part in how it looks.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Return to posts index

Teo Camporeale
Re: light bulb in Maya
on Feb 27, 2009 at 4:32:29 am

Yes, in general, for glass you'll need refractions. However, for very thin glass the refraction will be very slight except for maybe towards the base. Also, refraction's are only noticeable when you have things behind the glass (a background environment or objects) to show through.
Anyway, start with a simple setup like a single object that's partially obscured by the bulb, set your renderer (Maya Software or Mental Ray) to Raytracing, and start playing with the transparency and refraction index of the bulb.
This of course assumes it's a "clear" type of bulb. If it's one of those "cool white" bulbs, then probably no refractions needed. Either way, you'll probably want to have some kind of reflections in the glass, and a very tight (small) specular highlight.
Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]