FORUMS: list search recent posts

After Bake Simulation: can you revert back to dynamics?

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Teo Camporeale
After Bake Simulation: can you revert back to dynamics?
on Feb 26, 2009 at 5:59:55 pm

Hi, I've been working with objects falling via active rigid bodies, and then baking the simulation. However, sometimes I want to "unbake" the keys and go back to tweaking the original dynamic simulation. I've noticed that the Bake process does not seem to delete the rigid body node However, if I simply delete the keyframe curves, this does not restore the object to responding to dynamics. Any ideas?
Thanks!

Return to posts index

Adam Benson
Re: After Bake Simulation: can you revert back to dynamics?
on Mar 1, 2009 at 7:52:52 pm

I think (though I could be wrong) that once the simulation is baked it's no longer a simulation and becomes a traditional keyframed animation, and cannot be reverted. That would be like unbaking bread to get your dough back. Also, by default Maya breaks all of the simulation connections. You may be able to delete your keyframes and then use the hypershade or hypergraph editors to reconnect the nodes, but you'd have to know which nodes to connect to what and how.
My suggestion is to recreate the simulation and don't bake the keys until you're 100% done. Or, if you like basically where you're at but don't want to rely on the simulation anymore; bake the keys and then Simplify the keys. AND THEN you can go in and adjust the animation curves manually to tweak the simulation without having to re-do everything or tweak things frame by frame.
Good luck, I hope this helps.

Adam Benson
Visual Effects Artist/Musician/Sound Engineer/Editor
http://www.sleepdeprivedproductions.com

Return to posts index

Teo Camporeale
Re: After Bake Simulation: can you revert back to dynamics?
on Mar 3, 2009 at 7:59:35 pm

Thanks! I was hoping for a way to just turn it on and off, oh well....
What I ended up doing was, after getting it as close as possible, exporting the dynamics first and then importing it back to be baked to keys. That way, I could keep an unbaked version handy, in case I needed to go back and tweak.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]