FORUMS: list search recent posts

Quick Modeling Question, Seek advice of the Gurus.

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
michael zoppo
Quick Modeling Question, Seek advice of the Gurus.
on Feb 4, 2009 at 12:39:38 am

Ok quick question. I have been seeing a lot of tutorials on the internet for modeling characters in maya. I have seen two different prospectives of how to go about "combining pieces" of the body. One guy was modeling a robot and for the body he just beveled a box and for the head he created a new box and placed it on top (very simple) my question here is that no where in the process did he eventually connect the head box to the body box. When your modeling a character do you have to make sure the every piece is a single mesh or can you leave certain parts as different objects and when you rig it, it will be fine. I just wanted to know because im doing a little alien model and im not sure how to go about doing this. As in can i just create a sphere for the head then make a poly box and model his chest then create more poly boxes for the arms and just never actually connect them?

Thanks guys.

Return to posts index

Alvaro Castaneda
Re: Quick Modeling Question, Seek advice of the Gurus.
on Feb 4, 2009 at 4:00:13 pm

well

You don't HAVE TO, I do prefers to have my ORGANIC characters in one piece, except the eye balls and some times the finger nails, the hair and of course their cloth, this way they deform better.

for something like a robot yeah you can leave some pieces a part, when it come to rigging there no problem, when you get to skinning is where you might find it a bit more difficult if you have several pieces.

my general rule is, if is organic, try to merge as much as I can, I recently did a fish and I made the fins and teeth as separate objects, then combine everything

hope this helps

----------------------
varomix - pixelEater
http://www.intelianimate.com

Return to posts index

michael zoppo
on Feb 4, 2009 at 5:33:29 pm

Thanks that helps a lot. Another quick question i Had is if I wanted the robot to have wheels for feet that rotated 360 degrees i would have to leave them as a seperate mesh because if rotated them while they were attached to the entire body would the legs begin to twist, or is there a way you can model pieces of mesh to rotate like that? As in like a robots hand might be able to rotate 360 degrees but his arm can not, do you still attach the hand mesh to the arm mesh (is there a trick to still make the hand rotate 360 but not affect the twisting of the arm mesh) or would you just leave them as two pieces?

Thanks for all the help.

Zoppo
-Snoogles-

Return to posts index

Alvaro Castaneda
on Feb 4, 2009 at 5:54:22 pm

yeah, leave those rotating pieces apart, that way would be easier to handle.

----------------------
varomix - pixelEater

Return to posts index

michael zoppo
on Feb 5, 2009 at 2:57:18 am

Ok, well because you give good advice I promise I just have one more question. The whole wheeled 360 rotatable feet being separated from the mesh thing or in my current problem, eye brows for a robot. The eyebrows need to be separated from the mesh placed right over the head above a glass visor I have for the eyes. Now im guessing for an organic mesh you just model the eyebrows into the mesh and then animate them later using bones. But in this case I want the eyebrows off away from the face like their hovering in front of him. My issues here is when I create the mesh and I want to animate it, how do i set it up so that when i move the body mesh the eyebrows (or wheeled feet) will follow the body even though they are not connected as one whole mesh? Is this a rigging question? Is there a way to set it up almost like layers in photoshop or some sort of grouping method were I do not actually connect them together physicaly but the body acts as a parent to the eyebrows and wheeled feet?

Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it.

Zoppo
-Snoogles-

Return to posts index

Alvaro Castaneda
on Feb 5, 2009 at 3:29:38 pm

Hi

you can do all kind of thing with your model and make it work on the rigging part, that's kinda what rigging is, so for the eye brows, they can have some little bones if you need to deform the, if not just a control for translate/rotate/scale, and parent that to the HEAD JOINT(BONE) of your rig,
that way anywhere the head goes, the eye brows follow, for the wheel, find a place that work in your model, maybe parent to the foot joint or the main hip bone if you don't have like a leg system in your model.

rigging is lots of testing, so test for the best placing for your objects, also, some people, like me, like to keep geometry, bones and control separate, if you do a normal parent, that object will go UNDER a bone, and I personally don't like that, I use the constraints for that, there's a parent constraint that does exactly the same thing but leave your objects in their place on the outliner.

good luck!!

----------------------
varomix - pixelEater

Return to posts index

Keith Matlock
on May 19, 2009 at 5:15:46 pm

I have been trying to attach a hand to the rest of the body that I have been modeling. I highlight the Vertices of both edge parts and then Mesh
Both pieces are polygonal objects. Any help would be much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Alvaro Castaneda
on May 19, 2009 at 7:46:20 pm

first select both pieces as objects and do Mesh > combine
then you can merge the vertices
from the Edit Mesh Menu

----------------------
varomix - pixelEater

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]