FORUMS: list search recent posts

Controlling reflection fade out

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stanley Flomin
Controlling reflection fade out
on Jan 21, 2009 at 9:14:23 pm

Hey, I'm trying to figure out how to make my reflection fade out more. What i have is 3d text on top of plane. Two different blinns attached to the text and ground. The text doesn't recieve any reflections, the ground does. The issue is that the entire text is being reflected on the ground and I cannot for the life of me figure out what attribute i need to lower to have the ground not reflect the entire text but rather fade out as the text gets higher opposite the ground... I'm using MR to render, with the default physical sun and sky and final gather on. Oh and I should add that I'm attempting to make my ground completely white. And my attempts at that have failed as the white has completely blotted out the reflection, so i've made two planes. One top one with a circular ramp that has a slight shade of gray to it, allowing the reflection to show up, and the gray fades out into the 2nd plane which is pure white... Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Alvaro Castaneda
Re: Controlling reflection fade out
on Jan 21, 2009 at 9:59:02 pm

hI

There's no attribute that I know of that does that

so the way I've done it is to make a separate plane for the reflection in that plane add a circular ramp in the transparency, that will "FADE" the reflection

----------------------
varomix - pixelEater
http://www.intelianimate.com

Return to posts index

Mark Walczak
on Jan 22, 2009 at 4:59:36 pm

Another way you could get this to work may be to add a ramped material to your text, and disable it's "Primary Visibility" in the attribute editor. You would then disable the text giving off reflections in the same panel for the original text.

Hope this helps!

What makes you explode?
http://www.explosivegraffix.com

Return to posts index

Stanley Flomin
on Jan 22, 2009 at 7:04:32 pm

thanks guys, i actually just replaced the floor shader with an MR one that had a falloff control for the reflection. I tried the ramp and that worked well to though. It was just easier to control the falloff on the shader then playing around with the ramp.
Thanks again though that will definately help in the future.

Return to posts index

Russell Wyner
on Oct 9, 2010 at 11:06:30 pm

Can you share which Mental Ray shader you used? I'm trying to get this effect on a "background" texture. Is there a Mental Ray background texture?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]