FORUMS: list search recent posts

I need object to float up and fade (or change to black)

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Howard Freeman
I need object to float up and fade (or change to black)
on Jan 12, 2009 at 7:40:34 pm

I am a noob to Maya with little to no training. I am trying to make an object (I'm using dollar signs) to float up and fade away (or change to black which is the background color).

I've successfully animated dollars floating up, just can't figure out how to fade them...I need details. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Adam Benson
Re: I need object to float up and fade (or change to black)
on Jan 12, 2009 at 11:50:24 pm

The fade will be an opacity animation in the material that you've applied to it. If you haven't applied a material yet, one simple way to do that is to select your object, right click it and choose Add New Material... > Blinn. Blinn is a very popular and versatile material, although you can obviously use any type of your choosing. I'm just choosing this one for ease of example.
The material should appear in the Attribute Editor on the right. There you can pick your color, add a bump map, use a file for a texture, AND you can set your Opacity. As with anything in Maya, you can animate all of these settings. Simplest way is to right click the Opacity's value box and choose Set Key. Move the time to where you want it to fade out and set the opacity to 0, and then right click again and choose Set Key.
Done.

That's one of the simplest solutions.
Hope it helps.

Adam Benson
Visual Effects Artist/Musician/Sound Engineer/Editor
http://www.sleepdeprivedproductions.com

Return to posts index

Howard Freeman
on Jan 13, 2009 at 12:12:16 am

Thanks Adam, that helped a great deal!

Return to posts index

Adam Benson
on Jan 13, 2009 at 2:44:14 am

Glad to help~!

Adam Benson

Return to posts index

Howard Freeman
on Jan 14, 2009 at 1:18:44 am

New problem...

I successfully used the technique to fade my objects, however...When I render the animation, it doesn't show the material I applied to it (it doesn't fade). What is the best way to render this? I need to make it a quicktime or .avi.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Adam Benson
on Jan 15, 2009 at 6:52:44 pm

Hmm. Without trying to sound patronizing, are you sure you animated the opacity? If the animation isn't there, then the material will hold its last state when you render it, which means that if you set it to full transparency last, then it will stay transparent. The opacity box will turn kind of an orange color if there is a key frame in it. If you scrub your time slider back and forth and that value doesn't change, then only one key frame has been set, you'll need to go back and set the first key frame with the opacity value set to 1. Without actually seeing the file it's hard for me to tell you what's up with it. If it's just a rendering issue (for instance, if it's only rendering out 1 frame) then it's simply the way you're rendering it.
One of the only things that I don't really care for about Maya is it's rendering system. It render's really pretty stuff, but I don't think it's the most user friendly or straight forward rendering system out there. For instance, 3DS Max's renderer is much simpler to use and see what you're getting while its working.
If you're just having a rendering problem, here's what you have to do. In the render settings window, you have to tell it, first, that you want to render multiple frames. Then you have to set the frame range. Then you have to set the file type ( I don't think Maya does AVI, and I can't remember if it does MOV (I always render everything to frames; sorry on that)) Then, you have to set Maya to rendering mode. You know, there's the Polygon mode, the NURBS mode, the Animation Mode, and the RENDERING Mode, up in the top left-hand corner. Then choose, RENDER > BATCH RENDER and it should put out your file. I know.... Not very elegant is it. Maybe they'll get that right someday. Hope this helps

Adam Benson

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]