FORUMS: list search recent posts

joining nurbs

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tony hayes
joining nurbs
on Dec 25, 2008 at 11:39:25 pm

I have made NURBS body for the creature I am attempting to create. I have also made a NURBS leg as a separate object. The two objects don't necessarily match parameterization. How can I join the two together. I know I can join them with a circular fillet as two intersecting surfaces. Does it matter that their parameterization may not match when I do this, come render time?
Tony Hayes

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: joining nurbs
on Dec 27, 2008 at 7:33:27 am

Joining NURBS surfaces together is tricky and sometimes best avoided, depending on the needs of your scene.

I haven't come across too many instances where using things like the circular fillet on a character was a good solution. I think those tools are better suited for sculpting inorganic objects that aren't destined for animation. For a character, polys are usually preferred. If you do go with NURBS, consider using a patch or 'socking' method, where you build the character out of patches that are designed to meet along edges for seamless blending.

If you do go with this approach, be aware of the two main problems you are likely to encounter:

1. surfaces may 'pull apart' from one another when deformed (including by joints)
2. 2D textures will be difficult or impossible to get to flow seamlessly across these joins.

Good luck,

-Steve

Return to posts index

tony hayes
Re: joining nurbs
on Dec 30, 2008 at 12:29:12 am

Thanks Steve
It seems to be the way from what I gather. There are a lot of tutorials about building NURBS heads but not many about how to extend that into a NURBS body
Tony HAyes

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]