FORUMS: list search recent posts

Baking then editing a simulation?

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Roestenburg
Baking then editing a simulation?
on Dec 24, 2008 at 5:15:27 am

Hey,

I am trying to re-time a simulation. I have a series of reactions occurring , mainly balls bouncing on

drum heads. The Set up is as follows. Gravity (default) , active and passive bodies (ball bouncing on skins)

then I have used a lattice deformer as a soft body to simulate the bounce back of each head.

Some of the balls dissipate in to particles at the end of there bounce.

So my question: I have made a drum track for the following events and am trying to match up beats for bounces. So I have baked each drum types simulation for 1 revolution and then trying to re-time the keyframes accordingly before doing a post_infinity cycle.

the problem

Changing the keyframes in any way destroys elements of each simulation. eg the drum skin bounce back and the particle dispersion.

any ideas? am i missing a step? Am I encountering a bug in 08 , or is my 'noobness' destroying my brain.

any advice would be appreciated. I have included a snapshot of the scene . hopefully with the picture and destricption you can see what I am trying to accomplish and maybe suggest a better method of doing so.

regards

aroestenburg

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: Baking then editing a simulation?
on Dec 27, 2008 at 7:29:01 am

I love a good simulation as much as the next guy--okay, maybe even a bit more--but if the only dynamic motion in the scene is balls bouncing off taut drum skins, you might find it easier to just animate them manually. A ball bounce is a pretty simple animation task, no?

-Steve

Return to posts index

Adam Roestenburg
on Dec 28, 2008 at 2:06:27 am

thanks you for the reply

Yes animating the bounces would be an option.

But as this is specifically for a dynamics projects I have to incorporate fields , soft / rigid bodies and particles. I have also given the drum heads a some spring using a soft body on a lattice deformer on the skins.

the conundrum continues...

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Dec 28, 2008 at 5:35:56 pm

Hello again.

Hmmm, so the problem is that you bake the rigid body simulation, but once that happens, the softbodies don't respond correctly anymore?

I'm surprised to hear that: I would have expected that particle collisions between the balls and the softbody (lattice points) would respect the keyframe editing you did. Is it possible that you have particle cacheing going on (either disk or memeory caching)? That would 'lock' the particles into the original behaviour, and prevent them from updating after you changed the keyframes on the bouncing balls.

Not much more advice I can give, I'm afraid--getting precise timing with simulations is very tricky; not the sort of thing they were really designed for. One other thing you might try playing with to fine-tune things is to change the way time flows for your scene: you can insert an animation curve between the 'time1' node and the dynamics simulators. If that animation curve has a slope of 1 then the simulations will be unchanged; if the slope lowers, then the simulation will play in slow motion; if the slope increases the scene will play back faster. Dunno if that might help at all.

Good luck,

-Steve

Return to posts index

Adam Roestenburg
on Dec 29, 2008 at 3:53:11 am

Thanks Steve,

Particle cacheing? sounds like it could be the problem. How and where would i find such an attribute?

regards

aroestenburg

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]