FORUMS: list search recent posts

grid lock--basic lights placement

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
peter lener
grid lock--basic lights placement
on Dec 19, 2008 at 12:11:37 am

almost a mayday!
gettting totally frustrated at this point--reade 3 books ssdpent over 2 ours on computer but have very basic problem with spotlight placement--a newbee to maya but tons of exp with other 3d graphic programs--i am doing something basically wrong.

simple seen of a plane blin surface fractal material--shows up in ipr

create spotlight--non interactive--intensity 5, 45 degree cone and panumbra 50, color green

i know light is placed facing backwall so it has to be pointed at the surface--i select light press letter t and manipulate the position of the eyepoint ( i assume this is where the light will light up)--plane and light is selected ipr shows nada--played with positioning light close to plane to no avail--any pointers /url's would be helpful--doing maya tutorial in manaual to no avail--any pointers appreciate

thanks
peter

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: grid lock--basic lights placement
on Dec 19, 2008 at 4:42:40 am

That sounds very strange.

Make sure that the light itself (not the eyepoint) is above the surface you are trying to light. If the light is sitting right on the surface it won't illuminate it.

You mention IPR a couple of times--are you having a problem that is limited to IPR, or does the same problem (i.e. no effect from the light) show up when you do a regular render, too?

-Steve

Return to posts index

peter lener
Re: grid lock--basic lights placement
on Dec 20, 2008 at 2:27:24 pm

steve

it was the hardware--no problem with mac

i keep forgetting that my machine and the learning program are a little flaky and sometimes i forget it

take care
and thanks again
peter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]