FORUMS: list search recent posts

Duplicate object / error mesege , need help!!!

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Emanuel Hristov
Duplicate object / error mesege , need help!!!
on Dec 17, 2008 at 10:24:08 am

Hi all. I have one problem. I have create one chаir and i won to duplicate 100 times.If i duplicate that chair just 30 times it's ok, but maya start working very slowly.When i duplicate 100 times, maya turns off with a following error massege.

Runtime error!!

This application was requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information.

..and in the command slider in maya sad something for a low memory!I have 3 Gb ram memory but maybe is not enough?
Thank you for help!

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Adam Benson
Re: Duplicate object / error mesege , need help!!!
on Dec 17, 2008 at 7:16:49 pm

How many polys are in your model? Often, the only time multiple copies of something slow down a machine like that is if there are a ridiculous amount of polygons composing the surface. If you're using a Smooth operator with a large number of iterations (say 3 or more) that alone will slow down the machine. Unless your camera is coming very close to your chair, or the chair is doing some complex animation (extra polys needed for joints, moving parts, etc) then you're probably going to be better off with fewer polys in your model, putting most of your detail in your texture maps.
If you are using a smooth operator, and you have not deleted your creation history, then you should be able to either a) go to the smoothPoly node in your channel editor and lower the iterations, or b) delete the smoothPoly node from the channel editor and instead go into your Polygon modeling mode and (with your model selected) choose NORMALS > SOFTEN EDGE. That may give you the smooth look you're after without the high poly count. Averaging your Vertices using MESH > AVERAGE VERTICES > [] and setting your smoothing amount to something like 2. That can soften the appearance of a model without multiplying the number of polys.
Another thing that may help (and depending on your model you'll want to be careful with this) is deleting your creation history. You can do that by choosing EDIT > DELETE ALL BY TYPE > HISTORY. Again, I will caution you, this will remove all kinds of operators. For instance, if you have a blendShape operator connected to a model, this will go away. You can also delete history for specific objects by selecting the objects and choosing EDIT > DELETE BY TYPE > HISTORY (notice the missing "ALL"). You can also DELETE ALL BY TYPE > NON-DEFORMER HISTORY. That will preserve your skinning and blendShapes and other deformers while simultaneously removing your creation history. In any case, check your poly count before deleting your history! If you delete the history BEFORE lowering your poly count, you're pretty much stuck with what you've got after that. There are ways to lower poly count later, but they can be pretty messy and cause your model to give you a lot of unwanted results.
Good luck, I hope this was useful to you.

Adam Benson
Visual Effects Artist/Musician/Sound Engineer/Editor
http://www.sleepdeprivedproductions.com

Return to posts index

Emanuel Hristov
on Dec 19, 2008 at 7:59:42 pm

Thanks a lot!! That was very helpful for me:) I am not so sure which one of your answer was right for me but no works super :)

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Eric Bowman
on Dec 18, 2008 at 12:35:31 am

Also when you duplicate, tell it to be an instance instead of actual copies. That might help a bit too.

Eric Bowman

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]